Suggestions needed for small IP cams like the Hikvision Mini Domes

T-Halen

n3wb
Reaction score
Been using the DS-2CD25x2 Mini Dome cameras from Hikvision with Surveillance Station on a Synology NAS.

Since those cameras have been discontinued, and the suggested replacements are kind of ugly, plus the blacklisting of companies like Hikvision and Dahua, I've been thinking about looking elsewhere for replacements or for the next project. Plus the Hikvision IR Cut Filters have started to fail on several, making reliability an issue.

Who is making similar cameras that are not on a USA blacklist, with similar features, and will work with a Synology NAS for indoor use?

Other requirements:
POE
IR for dark/nighttime
3 or 4 MP
2.4mm lens (or similar wide angle view)
Motion detection built into camera

Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The black listing applies to use by governmental agencies only. Every camera, no matter who made it, should be on a separate network and be blocked at the router from accessing the internet. Almost every camera made has security vulnerabilities that are rarely, if ever, fully addressed.

T-Halen

n3wb
Reaction score
Even if the black listing wasn't an issue, the reliability is. I've had to replace 3 Hikvision Mini Domes in the last 4 months due to IR Cut Filter failures resulting in daytime pink images.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't use Hik but just a guess that there may be a specific problem with the design of that particular model. Given the number of user here and how demanding we can all be there are very few complaints about failures with either Hik or Dahua. Band for the buck, with either is very hard to beat.

T-Halen

n3wb
Reaction score
Now sitting on a small pile (5 I think) of these DS-2CD25x2 Mini Dome cameras from Hikvision with IR Cut Filter issues.

Anyone have any use for these? I'm guessing that if you either:
a) only use them in a dark environment
or
b) remove the IR Cut Filter and only use them in a light environment
that they'd be perfectly fine. But that doesn't fit my need, so they have been replaced.

So, before they get recycled, checking to see if anyone might want them (cheap!)