Suggestions for Improvement? - Car Wash Camera System

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I am embarking on a camera project for a car wash. 6 self serve bays and 1 automatic.

The current plan is to mount a 12u server rack on the wall above the front door in the mechanical room. Should be enough room for 2 cisco 48 port POE switches, wifi controller for wireless, power, and storage server.

The attachment is a rough plan of where I felt the camera placement made the most sense. I would like each meter box to have a camera at eye level. Also, each bay can capture all sides of the vehicles. The back of and front of the wash has vacuums which have already been vandalized. There are light poles that I could perhaps tap power from and then wireless a camera.

There is def a risk of vandalism and fraud, so rather pay it up front than pay for it later. Aside from destroying some vacuums, they have tried to drill the safes in the bays, busted in the mechanical room and opened one of the meter boxes. This is while the wash was not operating for the past 2 years.

I would like to use 6A CAT, and I presume most of my purchases will be from eBay. Wiring will be ran through the bays in sch 80 PVC either rigid or flexible, as required. Considering its a wash, everything is a wet area.

There is a change machine in the front of the mechanical room. Would like to put a dog wash in the front too, as a future enhancement.

This post is an effort to get opinions and suggestions for this project. It would be super cool and sporty if I could everything purchased and installed before the winter. I am in the midwest, USA so about 120 days to go. The wash is currently not open, so I am bootstrapping the project one paycheck at a time.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and offer any input.

Thanks!

Attachments

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
A google earth photo of your premises from the satellite view might help people understand the layout better. The Pdf shows the premises but no the surroundings and thus threats.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can I power wash the cameras ? I do not think they a water proof under a high pressure water

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
My observation from your pdf is you're using a hell of a lot of cameras and even then, there are gaps in coverage. It's no good having cameras sighted in such a way that there are gaps in coverage in between as someone can just walk through the blind spots. Having cameras pointing away from the building will fail to get you evidence of a break in. Simply showing someone walking up to a building and then disappearing out of view of the camera because they walk under the field of view to it, doesn't prove they broke in. To be solid at law, you want the camera to show them actually interfering with or entering the building or it's assets.

I tend towards pointing the cameras along the building line, with each camera providing protection for the other and then having 1 or 2 over view cameras covering the car park.

As for camera sources, IP cam talk has a shop (believe Hikvision rebrands?) and Andy from Empire Tech on here is an excellent reliable source for Dahua.

Last edited:

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good inputs; thanks. In the next design iteration I will do a better job of addressing blind spots and redundancy. And will overlay the rudimentary triangles on the aerial map.
There are a lot of cameras though, not by choice. In noticing some of the automatic washes around town, they have a lot of pre and post-wash cameras focused on the car's condition. This helps them defend any damage allegations. I figure the same is required for me.