Suggestions for 2d Home IP system -- been hit already -- figure they'll be back.

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and this is a great forum btw....

I have small place in a rural location about 400 miles from "home". I had an attempted break in last week in broad daylight; luckily my neighbor (about 1/4 away) just happened to notice a truck at my place and went to investigate. The 4 would be burglars got away; luckily they had not loaded up my ATV they were attempting to steal. This place is primarily unoccupied; my brother lives a mile away and comes by to check on things every few days.

I figure these guys will be back; I'd like to ready if possible.

Looking for suggestions for possibly a 5 or 6 camera IP with NVR system. Hearing a lot about Niki and Dahua on this forum. If I'm understanding things correctly, I could record with an NVR; and trigger uploads to an FTP site upon events. I do have a separate alarm system with two sirens; so I'm hoping I can scare these guys away. The house is basically rectangular with a 75 long driveway. One additional constraint is upload speeds; I only have 1MB/sec DSL available (optical cable).

Money is obviously an issue, so I'll the install myself. I'm hoping to get going for $1000 to $1500. I have easy access to run Cat5 (or Cat6).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you already have had a attempted break in, I would go with turret domes so that they can't be knocked out of view. I just received a case of Hikvision 2332 3MP turret domes and they are very solid, not cheap plastic junk. Whatever cameras brand you go with, get the matching brand NVR. It will make things a lot easier. Contact Milkisbad on here if you go with Hikvision. He has great prices on all hikvision gear.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An idea...

Its unlikely you will want to run 5 or 6 cameras at 3MP, as an 8ch nvr is limited to about 50Mps input bandwidth, and 1 cam at 3Mp will take up just under 13Mps so you will have to reduce each camera to about 2Mp..... so some savings can be made by purchasing the 1.3MP version of the above recommended camera. (which in theory gives better low light response (0.01Lux vs 0.07Lux)

Reaction score
Since you already have had a attempted break in, I would go with turret domes so that they can't be knocked out of view. I just received a case of Hikvision 2332 3MP turret domes and they are very solid, not cheap plastic junk. Whatever cameras brand you go with, get the matching brand NVR. It will make things a lot easier. Contact Milkisbad on here if you go with Hikvision. He has great prices on all hikvision gear.
Thanks for the reply Blake. I ll check it out.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're welcome. I have setup a mix of 2mp and 3mp cameras on a system. Its easier for me cost wise for a customer to offer 2 and 3mp cams due to cost and flexibility. Better to have that headroom than for them to be stuck with only 1.3mp/720P. I can't help with the DSL as I have no experience with it.

Reaction score
DaveP....thanks for input. I'm thinking maybe 3 cameras outside; 2 of those at 3mp to help ID any vehicles along the access road which is 100 to 130 ft away, depending on camera location. I can drop to 1.3 or 2.0 mp on the remaining cameras and come up w a less demanding BW requirement.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nonsense. I run my 3 MP cams at 6 Mbps or less, and everything is fine.
Nonsense is only in the deliberate misunderstanding of what was being suggested, lol

If your running a 3MP camera at less than its full potential, then cost savings can be made by buying a more suitable selection of cameras in the first place.

:(

Reaction score
bp2008... I stand corrected. The local phone company will provide fiber optic to the house. Considering the location, I'm glad to have that! My understanding is I'll have up to 4Mbps download; 1Mbps upload speeds. I was referring to the 1Mbps upload... (bits not bites). Thanks for the correction.

Dave

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nonsense is only in the deliberate misunderstanding of what was being suggested, lol

If your running a 3MP camera at less than its full potential, then cost savings can be made by buying a more suitable selection of cameras in the first place.

:(
I mean no offense. Your original statement suggests that 3 megapixel video requires 12-13 Mbps bit rate, and I would not want someone reading this to misunderstand. Video bit rates are entirely configurable by the user, and the law of diminishing returns applies very heavily in this situation. A typical person would really have to zoom in and look for image artifacts to tell the difference between 6 and 12 Mbps video at 3 megapixels. Yet at 12 Mbps it uses twice as much bandwidth and storage space.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your still missing the point, lol

Yes you can indeed reduce the bit rate ... but if your going to that, then save some money by not getting into the mega pixel race by over specifying some of the cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not missing your point. I am disagreeing with it :)

A 1.3 MP Hikvision camera is about $75 on aliexpress, while a 3MP is $85. A $10 difference. This may extend to $20 or $30 from some USA-based sellers. You are suggesting that 3 MP cameras are not worth this added cost unless the bit rate is maxed out. For most people, this is simply untrue. Even at relatively low bit rates like 3-6 Mbps, a 3 MP camera captures significantly more detail during the day.

At night it is a different story because, as you said, the Hikvision 1.3 MP sensors have better low light specs. At night, their 1.3 MP sensor may outperform their 3 MP sensor regardless of bit rate. I haven't seen any experiments done to demonstrate the night-time difference between the 1.3 and 3 MP cameras.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A $10 difference
Comparing same kinda looking , apart from the mega pixels of course.

My favourite seller in the whole wide world has DS-2CD2332-I at $93.50 and the DS-2CD3310-I at $59.90 (delivered) a difference of $33.60 :single_eye:

At night, their 1.3 MP sensor may outperform their 3 MP sensor regardless of bit rate.
I did mention that in passing earlier in the thread

But well done, at last you getting the point I was trying to make...

Select the right camera for the job, don't pay for 'mega pixels' that are not needed for each and every camera and then have to reduce the bit rates cos the NVR is swamped.

I haven't seen any experiments done to demonstrate the night-time difference between the 1.3 and 3 MP cameras.
I'm sure I sniffed around and found one on the internetty webby where 1.3 dusk and night were shown, but to save you searching I'll add mine to the forum as soon as the 1.3 arrives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to compare apples to apples. The the 2312 is the 1.3mp version of the 2332...The 3310 is the 1.3mp version of the 3332 which can be had for 78
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-3MP-Hikvision-ip-camera-DS-2CD3332-I-4mm-lens-Network-ip-camera-1080p-Mini-dome/2007577651.html
I dont know the practical difference between the models if any...
BP is correct though...there is diminishing returns and running a 3mp camera at say a 4096 bitrate will give you a better image (during the day) than a 1.3mp camera with the same bitrate.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would buy a monitored alarm system. The cameras will only hopefully ID the people afterwards

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
since you have an alarm system, if its a Honeywell/Ademco Vista or DSC, you could get an Envisalink3 and hook it up to your LAN to get internet connectivity for self monitoring. used in conjunction with the cameras i would think you could identify real threats vs false alarms.