suggest Dahua outdoor ptz for roof viewing

Reaction score
*-hi I am looking for an POE IP PTZ camera to monitor a roof for wildlife damage. the camera will have no protection so must be very weatherproof. needs to be IR for night viewing. does not need to be high resolution. would like to keep the price down. NVR is a qsee qc8116. thanks in advance

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would suggest to look for a 2MP starlight PTZ model, take a look here: Product selector, compare Dahua products, Network Camera, Network PTZ Camera & NVR, HD-SDI Products,Dahua Technology
Like the SD49225T-HN, the SD49212T-HN or possibly the new SD1A203T-GN - depending on your budget and the viewing angle you need.
Altough it can also be better to place two or more cheaper non-PTZ (HDW4231EM-ASE to HDW5231R-ZE and everything in between), it all depends on the situation you want to monitor (mounting place, viewing distance etc.).

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Anything IP is going to be high resolution, at least 720p. The zoom is usually what makes a PTZ expensive. If its a small roof, you may be able to get away with a 12x. Here is an example of a Dahua HD-CVI 2mp IR PTZ with a 25x zoom used to follow intruders on a roof at a shopping plaza. You can go to about the 1:00 mark when the ptz comes into the video. We used a 1.5 inch galvanized threaded pipe with two 90s. The bracket extends about 4 feet above the roof line and threads dirctly into a 1.5 inch coupler, which keeps the connections nice and dry.

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like what @Steff said. Ill add the:

The SD22204T-GN @ $160

The SD49212T-HN @ $300

The SD49225T-HN @ $330

Mounting solutions vary with the above. I have installed both the SD49225T and the SD49212T. Both are excellent.

SD

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The issue that we have when mounting a ptz to view the roof was getting the camera higher than the roof line. We starting making our own mounts that were specific to the building and application. Here is a video of showing how we mounting two PTZs on opposite corners of a square building. These are 1.3mp Hikvision IP ptzs with 27x zoom I believe and 250ft of IR

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you use to make the video ? drone ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
*-hi I am looking for an POE IP PTZ camera to monitor a roof for wildlife damage. the camera will have no protection so must be very weatherproof. needs to be IR for night viewing. does not need to be high resolution. would like to keep the price down. NVR is a qsee qc8116. thanks in advance
That would probably depend a bit on the roof. Could you describe it a bit more (style:flat, sloped, etc.; size, residential/commercial) or post a screenshot from google maps' satellite view?

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
Anything IP is going to be high resolution, at least 720p. The zoom is usually what makes a PTZ expensive. If its a small roof, you may be able to get away with a 12x. Here is an example of a Dahua HD-CVI 2mp IR PTZ with a 25x zoom used to follow intruders on a roof at a shopping plaza.

Is the Dahua PTZ's intelligent? looks like its automatically focusing on where there is movement and then zooming in. I wouldn't mind having one of those.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it is an operator who uses controls to follow these people, not camera intelligence.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
This video shows someone operating the PTZ at this property. Dahua does make auto tracking PTZs, and we have quite a few of them out working on different properties. The auto tracking PTZs can be twice the price of a non-AT.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Dahua PTZ's intelligent? looks like its automatically focusing on where there is movement and then zooming in. I wouldn't mind having one of those.
AFIK, there aren't any 'intelligent' HDCVI cameras...