Suggest a CCTV setup - IP cams and NVR

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Suggest a CCTV setup for my house below. Required IP cameras with motion detection and good night vision. Most cams are OK during day, but its at night when you can tell them apart....

Crude diagram :p

Red dotted line is my actual land boundary.
Black line is actual house sitting itself - side setbacks are roughly 1m and rear setback is 3m

Thinking of 2 dome cameras for front, mainly for aesthetics and bullets for rear as they are more robust/better
How would the Hikvision 2332 EXIR turret cam fare for the two at front ? There isn't much ambient light at night, just some little wall LED's which we leave on at night. If there is a better alternative.

As for sides, Bullet 1 should cover that side no problems. Would Bullet 2 be able to see if someone tries to vandalise Dome 2 ?
Bullet 3 for backyard

From what I have read so far, I think this would be ideal for focal lengths
Dome 1 and Dome 2: 2.8mm or 4mm
Bullet 1 & Bullet 2: 6mm
Bullet 3: 4mm or 6mm

Would be ordering through the usual Aliexpress sellers - CCTV China or E&M ....

Please suggest model numbers and focal lengths to use ...
Also, please suggest a 8ch NVR - Hikvision or better ?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dome 1 and 2 - DS-2CD2132F-IS for aesthetics, unless out of reach then get DS-2CD2332-i turrets. (2332 much better at night and better camera in general IMO). Both 4mm if your drive is 15m.
Bullet 1 and 2 - DS-2CD2232-i5, ok it's not a bullet camera but to cover 30m I think you're better off with EXIR, is someone going to vandalise one of your cameras?
Bullet 3 - DS-2CD2032-i 4mm

NVR simples DS-7608 PoE version.

Those are my thoughts, others might have different, so best to wait for more opinions!

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dome 1 and 2 - DS-2CD2132F-IS for aesthetics, unless out of reach then get DS-2CD2332-i turrets. (2332 much better at night and better camera in general IMO). Both 4mm if your drive is 15m.
Bullet 1 and 2 - DS-2CD2232-i5, ok it's not a bullet camera but to cover 30m I think you're better off with EXIR, is someone going to vandalise one of your cameras?
Bullet 3 - DS-2CD2032-i 4mm

NVR simples DS-7608 PoE version.

Those are my thoughts, others might have different, so best to wait for more opinions!
Hi Del Boy
Thanks for your input.
Why do you say DS-2CD2232-i5 is not a bullet cam... it sure looks like one to me !

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Either way should be fine..note they will be china region and you wont be able to update firmware...
hmm... I thought you could get English firmware and international version cams via Aliexpress .... ??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm... I thought you cold get English firmware and international version cams via Aliexpress .... ??
The camera will likely arrive with english firmware, if you try and upgrade at a later point it will either brick the camera or revert to chinese..
There is a distinction between english firmware and english region..
if you are using these with vms software and not exposing to the internet its no big deal..but something to keep in mind..there are 5-10 threads on this issue..

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay ... it will be connected to the internet because I will need it to be able to view via smart phone.
The way I understand it so far is ....

OPTION 1: You buy a NVR and connect it to a monitor. You can then see any live or recorded video ?
Also, the NVR has capability to for you to view live (or even recorded video ?) via internet on your smart phone.
The NVR comes with licenses for cameras

OPTION 2: If you are buying a separate PC and storage for recording etc, then you will need a separate software on your PC to view the recordings ? You also need to buy licenses for cameras.
For eg, Blue Iris or Milestone ...

I will be using my existing monitor and use KVM switch to alternate between PC and NVR... are there any known problems with doing this?

This is my first foray ever into CCTV and just trying to get my head around. I had previously got quotes form installers but want to delve deeper into this before I go ahead !

Last edited by a moderator:

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK ... I have prepared a wish list of the following cameras. May or may not go with the indoor camera. Undecided. But the others are pretty much decided. Please give it a once over ....

Also, not decided yet on the software.
Go with Hikvision NVR or third-party, most likely BI.
Heard that Hikvision software may give false motion detection emails. Any other NVR worth looking at which will work with above cameras ?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is almost never a reason for the 2032 bullet...the 2332 turret is superior in every way...
The hikvision software will use in camera motion which is very good including line cross detection and intrusion detection..it does have limited options for schedules and alerts and you cannot easily disable the alerts when you dont want them and are limited to hikvision cameras...They claim to have a webserver but ive never seen it used.
If you go with an NVR, read the threads about the language mismatch...
If you use BI and intend to run those cameras at 3mp then you will need an i7 haswell..

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, missed out on ordering the above cams as they were pulled off by the sellers...

Found these two new stores. Actually, the one selling NVR is pretty good. I'm sure it costs less here than what I saw previously on the two stores that were closed.

Can I get you guys to give this shopping list a once over and then I will email Julia asking for a price ?

Basically after 5 outdoor PoE cameras , one indoor PoE camera and PoE NVR.

Outdoor PoE: 2015-New-model-DS-2CD3345-I-4MP-array-30m-IR (better than DS-2335-I ?)

Focal Length:
for front of house looking onto driveway and street: Please suggest 2.8mm or 4mm ?
for narrow walkway 20m long on either side of house: Please suggest 4mm or 6mm ?
for backyard 3m x 13m Please suggest 2.8mm or 4mm or 6mm ?

Indoor PoE: 2015-DS-2CD2432F-IW-3MP-w-POE-IP

NVR: Hikvision-DS-7608NI-E2-8P-8CH-NVR

Here is a snapshot of the shopping cart:

Thanks !

Attachments

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you end up ordering from Network Camera? Sent a couple questions without a response so am curious..