Sub stream settings request

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know a sub stream is just that, but what do most people use for their sub stream settings? Sub stream 1 or Sub stream 2. My Sub stream 1 has a 4:3 type of look, where my Sub stream 2 has a 16:9 setting look. Bit rate?
Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Substream 1 is usually the lower resolutions and Substream 2 are higher resolutions.

I use Sub1 at D1 resolution and most of mine are 256 bitrate. Some are a little higher. At D1 you can go pretty high and still keep CPU low. It really comes down to at what point is it too low res for you. If you have a lot of cameras, you can usually get by with a lower bitrate and res than if you only have 4 cams.

It is the folks that insist on Sub2 at 1080 resolution and 20,000 bitrate that do not see the savings.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do like the sub 2 but maybe a 512 bit rate at 720. That may be what I do. I'll experiment and see. Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found some settings info on ipcamtalk and what it calls a proper sub stream setting. It said the sub stream frame rate should be set to the same frame rate as your main stream. Is that right? My CPU usage goes up a bunch when I do it. And that is even dropping down to sub 1 with a smaller screen size and lower bit rate.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you set up BI to be pulling the substreams from the camera? Setting it up in the camera is one thing, but then you need to tell BI to use them.

It should go down when substream is used.

Yes you should match FPS and iframe for the main and sub.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have it setup in BI. I was actually having a problem with my PC and windows search. I shut it down, restarted the PC, and restarted the search. Everything seems fine now. It must have been a freak thing.s