Stump removal training.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not far from Joint Base MDL on the "range" side. We can easily tell when the National Guard or regular Army are training by the rumbles. If it's really quiet at night we can even hear them with 50cal machine gun practice. We take some comfort knowing our guys are out there doing what they need to do to stay sharp.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Thinking about it, it's actually pretty amazing that they can use 105mm and mortars safely, at MDL. While this area of NJ is still fairly rural, that's a relative term when you get into the range of a 105mm round out of a cannon. Hope they triple check both loads and coordinates before each shot.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to go fishing a lot at Quantico Marine Corps base here where they do practice and ordinance disposal. Not unusual to hear some big-ass booms. Kind of get used to it.

But one day I was out there and I hear OMFUCKINGG BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

I swear the whole horizon shifted for a second. lol Still not sure what the hell that was. I was looking for a mushroom cloud.

Reaction score
I lived about 15 miles in a straight line to the Artillery Range of Camp Pendleton. House windows shaking was a common thing.
Facebook Karens would freak out every time asking what the hell that loud sound was.... Most common answer:

FREEDOM!