Strobe/LED for Alarm Output

rschandl

n3wb
Reaction score
First post...

I have a few Hikvision cameras that have an alarm output. I would like to attach a strobe or LED that would simulate a camera flash. Does anyone know an easy way to do this? My issue is that when the alarm output is activated, the strobe or LED will stay illuminated until motion is no longer detected.

I would like to purchase or build a device that will only flash once when power is applied.

I'm sure I could program an Arduino or something to do the job, but I figure there must be an easier way.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First post...

I have a few Hikvision cameras that have an alarm output. I would like to attach a strobe or LED that would simulate a camera flash. Does anyone know an easy way to do this? My issue is that when the alarm output is activated, the strobe or LED will stay illuminated until motion is no longer detected.

I would like to purchase or build a device that will only flash once when power is applied.

I'm sure I could program an Arduino or something to do the job, but I figure there must be an easier way.
I would like something too and wonder if this would work but, need 5v or lower to run off that plug on hiks, i don't know how many volts/ watts the alarm puts out on the green plug on them?

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ci1iikZS

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I been thinking about hacking a cheap police siren into it so I can make a whop whop noise, i can and have flashed lights at perps and they barely react.

rschandl

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like something too and wonder if this would work but, need 5v or lower to run off that plug on hiks, i don't know how many volts/ watts the alarm puts out on the green plug on them?

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cr7LMAGg[/QUOTE] I purchased a strobe similar to this one^^. To connect it to the alarm output of the Hikvision you need a separate power supply plus a [URL="http://www.dx.com/p/1-channel-5v-relay-module-w-opto-isolator-red-blue-223429#.VtnWYPk4HmE"]relay. You will most likely damage the camera if you try to connect it up without the relay.

However this is where my original question comes in. By connecting the strobe in this fashion it'll continue to flash as long as motion is being detected (in my case 80 flashes/min). I'm trying to figure out how to make the stobe only flash one time when the alarm is tripped.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see your point, for me if it continued during motion I would not mind as it would perhaps draw attention to the camera and just make them think twice. If anyone finds out what I could run just powered by the green alarm plug would be helpful. Even one then that has a battery I guess just tripped by the alarm.

Last edited by a moderator:

rschandl

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't believe you can power anything from just the green alarm plug. It only switches between very low voltage and ground. Basically just enough voltage to trip a relay.

rschandl

n3wb
Reaction score
I had actually already looked at these for a bit. I watched the following Youtube video (https://youtu.be/qfvSTyVYUqs?t=11m37s) and it appears that maybe mode 9 would do the trick. My only concern is that in the demonstration the guy completes the circuit for only a second to start the timer. I'm not sure how the timer would respond when completing the circuit for an extended period of time (the entire time motion is being detected the circuit would be completed). Does the timer start the count-down as soon as the circuit is completed? Or as soon as it's disconnected? I figure the only way to find out may be to give it a try myself.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I been thinking about hacking a cheap police siren into it so I can make a whop whop noise, i can and have flashed lights at perps and they barely react.
Funny I aimed a red laser on a guy breaking into a beach hut in Cuba a month ago at 3 a.m I purposely light the door around his head and he didn't react just walked away.