Streaming outdoor cam via wifi -- where do I start?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will look something like this...

View attachment 147011

Don't pay too much attention to the specific devices shown there. That's not really a point-to-point and you could have a switch at the remote end, etc. Just the general idea. With TP-Link's point-to-point APs you'd have another of the one shown to the right at the house. What they show with the EPA225 is a more generalized AP that the CPE unit to the right is just connecting to as a client. Which also will work but less robust.
Like they say...." A picture is worth a thousand (or a hundred) words." :cool:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@RedShirt
This may be of interest to you. There is a free way to allow viewing of a bird feeder with rtsp.me from a webpage or browser. The free part lasts for ten minutes before you have to restart it, which I think is OK for many.
An example is the birdcam at Terri Underhill's page:
There was a huge number of birds there around 8-9 am CT this morning with a good image.

Last edited:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another option if you don't think wifi will work is a powerline adapter, that I don't think has been mentioned.
An example is the TP-LINK AV-1000.

RedShirt

n3wb
Reaction score
Once again, thank you all so very much for all that valuable and reliable information! ⭐ I'm confidently going shopping now, and I'm sure my bro will be delighted by the solution we'll setup.
Happy holidays to all!

RedShirt

n3wb
Reaction score
Once again, thank you all very much for your patience and your kindness in showing me the ropes. :)
Considering the numerous options given, I'll go ahead and spoil my brother's surprise so we can discuss what solution he'd prefer. I'm sure he won't mind!
Thanks to all and have a wonderful Christmas!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome! Please come back and provide a link to the stream once it is set up!