Streaming issue with IPC-HFW5431E-Z5

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay I have something odd going on. I've been toying around with processing video in realtime using OpenaALPR but I have something weird happening.

Whenever I pull the http substream from the camera using the "USER:pASSWORD@IP/cgi-bin/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=2" everything works for a little bit, and then the camera goes offline in Blue Iris and OpenALPR.

Anyone have any ideas why?

I can pull the RTSP stream from the camera without issue but OpenALPR for windows doesn't like the file format.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So i logged into the web interface to see what was going on there. When I ran ALPR and tried to pull the stream I got this:
Resource Limited.jpg
This is what I got in the command line

ALPR Output 2.jpg

It then gave me the error opening file message for about a page before reconnecting, processing a few images, and throwing another overread 8 error.
ALPR Output 3.jpg

Any Ideas?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a thought that maybe I was just overloading the camera so I turned the main stream down to one frame per second, and just pulled the substream. Same result.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had a thought that maybe I was just overloading the camera so I turned the main stream down to one frame per second, and just pulled the substream. Same result.
That was my thought too. Try lowering the bitrate.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That was my thought too. Try lowering the bitrate.
Combination of bitrate and resolution. Turning the resolution of the substream down to 720P and the bitrate down to 1200, plus turning the frame / bitrate down on the main stream, got everything working.

I'm interested to know why it is working that way. I've been pulling both the full resolution main stream and an mpeg substream at high bit rates into BI for some time now without any issue. On top of that I also pulled down the high bitrate substream into VLC as well using RTSP without an issue. I suspect that my method of calling for the stream is processor intensive, and is overloading the camera.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Combination of bitrate and resolution. Turning the resolution of the substream down to 720P and the bitrate down to 1200, plus turning the frame / bitrate down on the main stream, got everything working.

I'm interested to know why it is working that way. I've been pulling both the full resolution main stream and an mpeg substream at high bit rates into BI for some time now without any issue. On top of that I also pulled down the high bitrate substream into VLC as well using RTSP without an issue. I suspect that my method of calling for the stream is processor intensive, and is overloading the camera.
Each simultaneous connection to the camera uses more of it's resources. Some codecs are more efficient others less so.