stream nvr outside of my home

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to stream the camera's of a dahua nvr to outside on an STB?

Inside my home it is possible but how can I get this stream outside?

This is the stream for iside of my home:
rtsp:/user:password@IP-adress:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=17&subtype=0 channel: Channel, 1-16; subtype: Stream Type, Main Stream 0, Sub Stream 1

I tried the IP-adress of my home, but that will not work.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello,you need a static IP address and proper port forwarding

Odoslané z Redmi Note 9 Pro pomocou Tapatalku
Look at the wiki for VPN..
Port forwarding alone is risky.

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't get it work. In home I can use it, outside home it will not work.
This works at home with vlc and my STB : rtsp:/admin:password@ip-adress:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
When I change the IP-adress to my ip-adress of my provider, my outside ip-adress, than it doesn't find the stream.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get it work. In home I can use it, outside home it will not work.
As stated by others previously, you must perform port forwarding (NOT recommend) or use a VPN (recommended).
By the way, my IP-adress is static.
But is it a PUBLIC IP?

What kind of Internet service do you have? DSL, Cable, satellite, cellular, fiber?

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a private IP and I've DSL. I've set in the router port forwarding port 554.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a private IP and I've DSL. I've set in the router port forwarding port 554.
I think we're having a terminology problem:

"Private" refers to those unique IP addresses used inside your house, on your LAN.
You and I can have the exact same private IP's such as 192.168.0.1-.254 or 192.168.1.1-.254 or 10.0.0.1-.254.​
"Public" refers to an IP address that can be accessed directly over the Internet (WAN) and is assigned to your network router by your ISP.​
You and I have different and unique public IP addresses.​

NOTE: Since it's DSL your WAN IP is likely public and if you forward any incoming traffic via WAN requesting port 554 to the your NVR's private, static IP you will VERY likely get hacked in short order.

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your post. I will make work to learn how to secure my system and than go for a VPN. Thanks again for the good advise. It will take time before I've learned how to do it.