Strange issue with ultra starlight IPC-HFW8232E-Z from Andy

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally started mounting three sample cams I received from Andy, one of them is the ultra starlight. To cut a long story short after countless hours of struggling I narrowed the problem to the following issue:
- when this cam is connected to longer network cable (around 23 meters long) it is working unstable, ie BlueIris reports loosing signal and my Cisco even does not detect the camera and I need to connect it via simple asus switch
- when this camera is connected via short cable (around 2 meters long) everything works like a charm

What I already did:
- tested 3 different power supplies (I do not use POE), finally I also tested it on a dedicated "lab like" power supply
- tested 3 different long network cables with same result - camera not working properly, same network cables are working with other devices, additionally I bought and tested them with network cable tester https://yalu.pl/15968/tester-kabli-rj-45-i-rj-11-rg-58-gembird-nct-3-z-wyswietlaczem.jpg

Anyone any ideas? I have none what to do now ...

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you were using your power supply, did you have the cameras on the bench near the supply?

Did your other cams run OK on the bench power supply?

Have you checked the camera power connector near the install point with your multi-meter?

Have you unplugged any other cameras that may be sharing the install location power source?

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I eliminated the factor of power supply but maybe I am wrong. Each of my cameras has it's own small power supply rated 2A installed in the "mounting box" of the particular camera, but I also tested it using this kind of "lab like" power supply http://www.programatory.com/galerie/3/305d_548.jpg
While tested using the above power supply camera was few centimeters away from it, and still same results as described in first post.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange. If it runs on shorts cables and you are not using PoE, are the CAT cables quality pre-terminated cables?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I eliminated the factor of power supply but maybe I am wrong. Each of my cameras has it's own small power supply rated 2A installed in the "mounting box" of the particular camera, but I also tested it using this kind of "lab like" power supply http://www.programatory.com/galerie/3/305d_548.jpg
While tested using the above power supply camera was few centimeters away from it, and still same results as described in first post.
This has nothing to do with the camera, nothing.
This is a cable issue. Most importantly, ensure that you are using the 568 cable standard, you CANNOT simply match up the wires at both ends, they have to comply with 568.
Ensure your cable is solid copper, not cca, cooper clad aluminium.
Make sure you cable ends are properly seated.

Reactions: ypl

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is plausible, because the short cable is "ready made" and the long ones are prepared by me. By prepared I mean ending it with RJ45 connector plug. I will make the endings again acording to TIA/EIA-568-B – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
I just wonder why regular starlight works on such cable with just matched wires at both ends, also all other devices at home work as well, this is why I never bothered to comply with 568 while attaching the connector plugs at the end.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is plausible, because the short cable is "ready made" and the long ones are prepared by me. By prepared I mean ending it with RJ45 connector plug. I will make the endings again acording to TIA/EIA-568-B – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
I just wonder why regular starlight works on such cable with just matched wires at both ends, also all other devices at home work as well, this is why I never bothered to comply with 568 while attaching the connector plugs at the end.
Likely because the runs are shorter...568 is there for a reason, it prevents crosstalk and interference...there are several threads here where users have the exact same problem...once you wire it to 568 (use 568B on both ends) your problems will go away...
then go fix the others..you may be experiencing dropped packets on the others that you are not noticing..

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks buddy, although there were many times I thought that nothing will surprise me again, everyday brings something new for you :)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Also recommend using a high quality RJ45 connectors....the cheap ones may test ok but will give you fits in the end.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@fenderman is spot on here. The power supply is not the issue. the camera is not the issue. The cable and cable ends are the issue. If you are in any doubt, pick up a 50m (or even 100m) pre-made Cat 6 cable and test it out. If you want to make your own cables ( i recommend this for most outdoor installs) learn how and use only the right parts together (ex 23 awg solid cu with solid cu 23 awg cat 6 terminations to 568B on both ends. Do not mix and match ie use 24 awg or stranded on 23 awg solid wire). I now get my cable and ends from Monoprice. If you need some time to practice, just use pre-made cables for now. Note, that class of cable testers is just a sequence continuity tester. If you somehow got hold of a real network cable tester (~$5k), it would show improper split pairs and very high near end cross talk as @fenderman points out.

Replace all of the wires that you made yourself with ones properly terminated (568B with matched wire to end), even if they are working fine now. No kidding! Otherwise it will bite you in the ass later.

One last note. you do not need cat 6, cat 5e is fine, you just don't want to mix and match the cable and cable ends and need them all to be assembled to a networking standard wiring pattern (ie IEC 568B)

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
big thx fenderman
im having the same problem with 1 turret 5231 ...long run 60m ..and its cooper clad aluminium cable...:banghead:

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the camera, nothing.
This is a cable issue. Most importantly, ensure that you are using the 568 cable standard, you CANNOT simply match up the wires at both ends, they have to comply with 568.
Ensure your cable is solid copper, not cca, cooper clad aluminium.
Make sure you cable ends are properly seated.
I owe you a beer buddy! Issue solved, I made the endings again according to 568B cable standard and it works like a charm! I had such a headache with this issue, seriously let me know if by any chance you are in Warsaw , you are welcomed at my place , beers are waiting in the fridge and my weber genesis e-330 is eager to roast some meat for this meeting :)

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you figure this out? I'm also have an issue with an ultra. I think I narrowed the issue down. If I leave my managed switch on auto (1Gbit/s), I'm getting a couple of frames per second. If I force the switch to connect at 100 half duplex it works much much better. Still can't understand the underlying problem though.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you figure this out? I'm also have an issue with an ultra. I think I narrowed the issue down. If I leave my managed switch on auto (1Gbit/s), I'm getting a couple of frames per second. If I force the switch to connect at 100 half duplex it works much much better. Still can't understand the underlying problem though.
Sounds like there could be some nasty packet loss happening at gigabit speed.

You could run some pings to the camera to get an idea of the packet loss %.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If it running poorly at Gigabit speed but better at lower speed, I would suspect the cable itself is causing the problem. First thing I would do is test with a different cable.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I did, posting the answer same time as you did. In my case it was what fenderman said in of the previous posts - cable/socket problem.