Strange Issue with Blue Iris Sub Stream Enable Only with a Specific Camera

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
I set up 3 Amcrest cams on Blue Iris with all recommended settings, sub stream, direct to disk recording, etc.

They all work fine, except one older Amcrest camera I had around for a few years. This camera works except if I enable the sub stream, blue iris does not like both streams but only for this model. The camera model is supported by Blue Iris, just like the others as well, and it even fills the ONVIF details automatically. This older camera is the one that still has the web interface, model IP2M-841B.

This camera works fine with the main stream only, which is:
Main:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

But if I enable the sub stream in Blue Iris for it:
Sub:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

It then works as well, and I see the sub stream in Blue IRIS, but the main stream is gone or disabled entirely. No frame rate, no details in Blue Iris, all 0 for the main stream, and the CPU doubles in Blue Iris and the video works for 30 seconds, then disconnects, then works for 30 seconds and disconnects. If I open the camera it just opens the sub stream (obviously since there is no main stream). If I disable the Sub stream to none, then the main stream works fine again without issues.

In Blue Iris if I set the main stream to be the camera sub stream it also works fine. (I disable Sub and set the ONVIF URL on Main to be the substream). No issues. Blue Iris then consumes the sub stream as main video.

For some reason, Blue Iris does not like both streams from the camera at the same time, the other newer cameras, both the main and sub work fine.

At first, I imagined this was some decoding issue (hence high CPU) but the main stream and sub stream use the same codec and the camera has basically all the default settings. Also, since Blue Iris works fine with either the main or sub stream (1 only working per time) it's not exactly a problem with getting the stream, CPU is low, video is processed fine.

It's just when I enable both that it bugs out.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What version of BI?

What hardware version of the IP2M-841? I have 3 of them, two are V3 and one is V1, none have the issue you describe, main and sub streams work great with my version of BI.

Regarding firmware, the V3 is running 2.800.0000000.1.R, Build Date 2019-09-27, the V1 is running 2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date 2019-08-03.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine works fine.

I use the following for the main and sub, which is different than yours:

main:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

sub:
/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to debug why is going on the main stream (0 frames received)?

Each other on its own works. But both at the same time do not. The sub stream seems to conflict or cause an issue on the main stream. And this is certainly something in Blue Iris because on the web interface both sub streams work fine. So they do in the Amcrest Android app.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would try the ole delete the camera ans re-add and build from scratch. I suspect something got corrupt in that camera.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I found the issue. It works when I select from the list model, the first option *ProHD...

My selection was set to the 8 option, which is:
IPM-721, IP2M-841,...

Is this a Blue Iris bug with the Amcrest camera drop down selection? My camera model is IP2M-841B, so should the 8 option not be the correct choice here? I had the impression the B at the end of this model is just color being black, since similar models in white ends with W...if I recall correctly when I first looked them up.

In the manual, it says to use this option if your camera is listed to enable all features like PTZ, etc.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FWIW, I have the same camera but use the default Generic/ONVIF settings in BI.
amcrest settings.JPG

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I have the same camera but use the default Generic/ONVIF settings in BI.
View attachment 186825
Yes, with Generic Onvif it also works fine, or with Amcrest + *PROHD, first option. I guess that is the same as just generic Onvif for Blue Iris.

If I actually select the Amcrest model, it behaves like posted here. I guess there is no harm in using it as Generic Onvif or the Amcrest with Generic model. Just curious if any specific feature is lost in Blue Iris.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the same model? 40 MB receive buffer? Why?
I put 40MB buffer on all my cams. These devices don't buffer like a streaming stick, so I figure a few extra MB won't hurt.

The help file says for bitrates over 8192 (or basically 4MP or higher) that running a higher buffer can avoid a buffer overrun or dropped packets.

I have over 30 cams on a 4th gen with no dropouts, so something is working LOL.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
I put 40MB buffer on all my cams. These devices don't buffer like a streaming stick, so I figure a few extra MB won't hurt.

The help file says for bitrates over 8192 (or basically 4MP or higher) that running a higher buffer can avoid a buffer overrun or dropped packets.

I have over 30 cams on a 4th gen with no dropouts, so something is working LOL.
But did you actually test if it makes any difference on your hardware side by slowly increasing it, or you just set 40 MB as a safe limit?

The docs say to increase them to 20 MB. I normally tend to change settings slowly until I see it makes no difference in software vs hardware. For example, with compression between 50% and 90% you will see almost no visible perception in quality, but the size will grow exponentially, which means it's not worth to set anything above that limit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it made a HUGE difference when I first started and substreams were not an option within BI.

It probably isn't as big of an issue now that substreams are a thing, but when people have had issues of video drops in BI and I suggest they up the buffer, their problem goes away.

Running it higher just means a little more RAM is used. Not a big deal in my case.