Strange Delivery

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Earlier today I heard a loud crashing sound from down below our hill. When I looked out the window I saw a truck dropping some type of panels in front of a house and out in the street. It seemed like a strange delivery for a house. The truck driver left shortly after the end of this video. Later I saw 2 people moving the panels. About 3 and 1/2 hours later, the panels were out of the street and sidewalk. It looked like they stacked the panels on the far side of that house. Recorded with a Huisun Mini Bullet PTZ camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, that is a lot of thick styrofoam insulation (blue board) for a residential delivery. The most I ever had delivered was two of those sheets...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
probably building hexayurts for burningman. :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Would you insulate your home with these? Why else would you need so much?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would you insulate your home with these? Why else would you need so much?
Yep - On new builds they are sometimes used against the outside of the foundation if you have a basement. In others they are often used in basements internally as they won't saturate under water or have molding issues.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use some in a window with an air conditioner that I leave in year-round. Also had some buried, laid over a short section of sewer pipe that is near the surface to help prevent freezing during winter. No idea if it is effective or not but the construction company recommended it so it is in the ground.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Often used to insulate a concrete slab that is going to have 'radiant' heating tubes installed in it

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use some in a window with an air conditioner that I leave in year-round. Also had some buried, laid over a short section of sewer pipe that is near the surface to help prevent freezing during winter. No idea if it is effective or not but the construction company recommended it so it is in the ground.
Is a smart use. I've read of some shallow foundation techniques even in cold climates that make use of a pretty shallow concrete foundation well insulated with foam and the ambient heat from the house alone can keep the earth under the concrete from freezing. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/design/departments/energy-smart-details/frost-protected-shallow-foundations.aspx Same idea with your pipe.

I also once used a piece of foam like this when I had a hot apartment and only a patio door. I opened the door, put the sheet in it permanently, and cut a hole for an AC unit to fit in. Looked ghetto but I was the only one in the entire complex not melting.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is a smart use. I've read of some shallow foundation techniques even in cold climates that make use of a pretty shallow concrete foundation well insulated with foam and the ambient heat from the house alone can keep the earth under the concrete from freezing. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/design/departments/energy-smart-details/frost-protected-shallow-foundations.aspx Same idea with your pipe.

I also once used a piece of foam like this when I had a hot apartment and only a patio door. I opened the door, put the sheet in it permanently, and cut a hole for an AC unit to fit in. Looked ghetto but I was the only one in the entire complex not melting.
It starts getting a little nasty when all the duct tape has worn down to strings and the once-blue foam is now a green color and the once-smooth surface is now rough and dusty (from sun exposure, no doubt)