Start of recordings dropping out

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have been having this issue for awhile, but after installing my remaining cameras and upgrading to Windows 10 to get HA going, it still persists.

I have an i7-3770 system with 16GB of RAM and recording to mirrored WD Black drives. There are 11x Hikvision 3MP@10fps cameras, 1x Huisun 2MP@15fps camera, and 1x Dahua 1MP@15fps . CPU usage hovers between 5-8% and RAM at 3GB usage.

All cameras except the 1MP are set to pre-trigger 6-seconds (fixed the 1MP cam setting this morning to have pre-trigger also). I'm using direct-disc recording and all cameras have the iframe matching the frame rate, and max fps set the same. Object detection is disabled, as I had found that one recommendation on the forum for what appeared to be a similar issue. I tried increasing the receive buffer of each cam to 20MB, but no change.

All cameras will freeze video after ~2 seconds, and it resumes after around the point that pre-trigger total-time is reached. They will freeze after ~2 seconds, and resume at the ~6 second mark. The Dahua 1MP records fine, but it had no pre-trigger set before now.

Any idea what else I can look at? I don't think I ever had this issue at the old house/a year ago when I was also likely still using re-encode video option rather than D2D.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You state that "all cameras are set to pre-trigger 6-seconds" and I see from your screenshot that your pre-trigger frames are set to 60. If this is the case then you must be running your cameras at 10FPS. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that -- if you're running at 30FPS (and your pre-trigger frames are set to 60) -- then you are only netting two (2) seconds, not 6 seconds.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You state that "all cameras are set to pre-trigger 6-seconds" and I see from your screenshot that your pre-trigger frames are set to 60. If this is the case then you must be running your cameras at 10FPS. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that -- if you're running at 30FPS (and your pre-trigger frames are set to 60) -- then you are only netting two (2) seconds, not 6 seconds.
"11x Hikvision 3MP@10fps cameras"

I may increase the rate since I have such low CPU usage, but 10fps is fine for most things.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Masejoer Have you matched the iframe interval to the fps in the cameras interface?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes ;)

"I'm using direct-disc recording and all cameras have the iframe matching the frame rate, and max fps set the same"
post the video tab>configure settings for the problem dahua. Also note that if your zones are small then the trigger may be activating late in the scene. 1.2 sec make time is long, try lowering it to .7-.9

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
post the video tab>configure settings for the problem dahua. Also note that if your zones are small then the trigger may be activating late in the scene. 1.2 sec make time is long, try lowering it to .7-.9
You have that backward - the Dahua is working. All the Hikvisions and the Huisun are having the issue.

Attached config.

Attachments

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
in your op you state the dahua is freezing...
No, but I edited it to try to make it more clear "All cameras (EXCEPT apparently the Dahua 1MP which had no pre-trigger set) will freeze video after ~2 seconds". The Dahua is fine, but maybe only because it didn't have pre-trigger setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, but I edited it to try to make it more clear "All cameras (EXCEPT apparently the Dahua 1MP which had no pre-trigger set) will freeze video after ~2 seconds". The Dahua is fine, but maybe only because it didn't have pre-trigger setup.
hmmm post a screenshot of your cameras settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try lowering the bitrate to 4096..see if that helps...also try doubling the iframe interval to 20.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try lowering the bitrate to 4096..see if that helps...also try doubling the iframe interval to 20.
I'll...try...although I don't see why that would do anything. All Hikvision cameras (3 different models) and the Huisun PTZ show this behavior. The Dahua in the garage works flawlessly.

The cameras are exhibiting this behavior (10fps video):

Huisun (15fps video):

If I manually "trigger-now" from the BI interface, it records 10-seconds perfectly fine (60 frame pre and 10-second post recording settings). Object detection is disabled. Both seem to make it through roughly 40 frames before they drop out.

HDD activity is non-existent on the Windows performance graphs, and CPU usage hovers around 8% with the frontend closed, 12% with the frontend and web interface both running. Everything is attached to a Netgear GS728TP-100NAS with 23awg CAT6 runs to each camera.

camserver_stats.png

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone? Re-encoding does it also.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone? Re-encoding works fine, but direct-to-disc drops frames.
I would email support. I have not seen this happen on any of my systems.
You may also want to uninstall and reinstall.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would email support. I have not seen this happen on any of my systems.
You may also want to uninstall and reinstall.
I was reviewing recordings and re-encode seems to drop frames also.

This is already a fresh install. I exported my settings, reinstalled, and restored settings, after moving to Windows 10.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reviewing recordings and re-encode seems to drop frames also.

This is already a fresh install. I exported my settings, reinstalled, and restored settings, after moving to Windows 10.
Is w10 a fresh install or an in place upgrade? exclude BI from antivirus.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is w10 a fresh install or an in place upgrade? exclude BI from antivirus.
Fresh Win7 install, then upgrade (for the free upgrade). Don't have antivirus installed or enabled the system. Things are controlled via pfsense router and zero outbound traffic is normally permitted from the camera system (temporarily allowed for software updates). A compromised camera system cannot interact with my home network.

Camera and home-automation network is on its own physical network, going through one of the 3 LAN ports and networks in the router. All inbound and outbound ports are controlled. My home-automation stuff even has its own 24-port switch (two switches in use in the house).