Starlights with strange IP address

Reaction score
They are plugged in one at a time as I am trying to reset. Yes, I know that the same IP addresses are a problem.
i am recording to a Synology NAS but that isn't the problem.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So do youo know the login/password for them?

You know you can just open a browser 9assuming theyre on the same network as you) to the IP address, login to the camera, go to networking, and set to DHCP, or better, set a static IP

Reaction score
No. it won't allow any changes without a password. Not admin, not 123456 or anything else I came across on the internet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
... and they wont reset and default to the region and then password setup screen...

Try 888888

Otherwise Im at a loss. Maybe someone who knows the Dahua Config tool better than I can tell you if it can change/set a password for you

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the green LED go out as noted up above? After you pressed and held the reset button for 5-20 seconds??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see a green light but I am able to depress the button and hear the reset clicks without removing the board.

I found this thread from 2018. Do you guys think these cameras, purchased in 2017, require an email activation code in the software but no longer exists in the config tool?

https:/ipcamtalk.com/threads/cannot-change-ip-address-on-dahua-ipc-hfw8232ep-z.25565/
You have nothing to lose by trying what @c hris527 did here and what @Parley did here.

Essentially they downloaded the Dahua "toolbox" and used the ConfigTool in the tool box. You have to use an email address to receive part of the activation process

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hahaha...bringing back nightmares from my other life. I will add my 2 cents here on those cams.

IF the config tool he was using says they were already initialized with that IP address, Most likely those cams were tested someplace else on that subnet, he claims they never saw daylight until now?
Its odd that its showing a (not default) default IP Addy. I do remember a time I had issues with those cams or something close to that model and year. Some even shared the same Mac address.
So isolation here key. PC or laptop, power injector or POE switch or wall wart powering that cam. Completely off any network. Set the pc on the same subnet (STATIC) as the cams. Make sure you can ping it
and try to log in. The first thing or one of the first things it should complain about is downloading a plugin? is that happening ? If you are using a modern PC without IE, It won't Install and without that
you will get odd things with your controls, and things will not be working correct or even give you bad info. It sounds like the cams are already set to a static IP address.
You may have to use edge and add that IP address (of the camera) to IE Legacy mode to even try to make it work. Without those plugins working you just might be seeing whats not really there.
Hopefully your modern Version of windows does not just delete or red flag the plugin as a worm or virus, you might have to beg your computer to let it install.
BTW, If you had installed any other "NEWISH" Dahua cams on that same computer, you might have to go to a webrec folder and delete it...naaa wait just rename it and let the plugin reinstall its thing. They get confused ya know sometimes and need a little
kick in the ass to get going.

Perhaps you already did this stuff but getting back to basics is key, with issues like this can be a rabbit hole (Believe me I lived in a few). The reason I mention isolation is because I remember some of these cams were reporting incorrect info
to my router and or my router was seeing them twice...cannot really remember but it was messing with things adding to the confusion.

Reaction score
Thanks Chris for the info. I just tried everything you suggested. No luck. I don't have IE so I had to use the Edge IE Legacy.
It's a shame. I was stupid not to think the initialization had a shelf life.

Are new Dahua cams easy to initialize and reset (if necessary)?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Chris for the info. I just tried everything you suggested. No luck. I don't have IE so I had to use the Edge IE Legacy.

Yes. I've never seen an issue with Dahua cams like you are having unfortunately.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of offhand is that with the newer cameras you don't need to open them up to get to the reset button. For a less helpful comment, I've been following this thread with some disbelief of what's happened to you. Over about 6 years I've brought up about 30 cameras without much fanfare, using config tool. This includes a couple of HDW4231EMP-ASE. I just plug them into my network (not on 192.168.1.xxx), one at a time. Config tool finds them, initialize works, I change the camera to a predetermined IP address, and then use a web browser for the rest of the camera setup. If it was possible to just hand one of these cameras to me, I'd love to try to get it going. I can see getting a defective camera, but 4 of them in one batch? Pretty long odds for that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Explorer is still baked into Windows.

Open up Notepad and Copy this text below in the blank space and do a save as IE.vbs and make it a shortcut on your desktop and then plain ole Internet Explorer will run again.

CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application").Visible=true

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Explorer is still baked into Windows.

Open up Notepad and Copy this text below in the blank space and do a save as IE.vbs and make it a shortcut on your desktop and then plain ole Internet Explorer will run again.

CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application").Visible=true
That's a good Tip..works well

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of offhand is that with the newer cameras you don't need to open them up to get to the reset button. For a less helpful comment, I've been following this thread with some disbelief of what's happened to you. Over about 6 years I've brought up about 30 cameras without much fanfare, using config tool. This includes a couple of HDW4231EMP-ASE. I just plug them into my network (not on 192.168.1.xxx), one at a time. Config tool finds them, initialize works, I change the camera to a predetermined IP address, and then use a web browser for the rest of the camera setup. If it was possible to just hand one of these cameras to me, I'd love to try to get it going. I can see getting a defective camera, but 4 of them in one batch? Pretty long odds for that.
You are 100% correct, Something seems really off here, I was actually going to ask him also to ship me one. ;)

Reaction score
Ha! I DID IT!

After spending countless hours trying to create a static IP and trying everything I could think of and everybody's suggestions, I tried something different. By accident.

I reset the camera. Once again the strange IP was shown. This time I clicked DCHP. I saw a green check mark and a password window appeared when I clicked "edit".

I set the password and then was able to log in, see the camera and change the IP to static.

I have no idea how, or why, it worked. I would think it was a conflict with the router except I took the router out of the equation as suggested above, and it still didn't work.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and for following along.

It was the last time I was going to try it. Next I was going to take one of you up on your offer and ship it out. At least I would know what I was doing wrong.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha! I DID IT!

After spending countless hours trying to create a static IP and trying everything I could think of and everybody's suggestions, I tried something different. By accident.

I reset the camera. Once again the strange IP was shown. This time I clicked DCHP. I saw a green check mark and a password window appeared when I clicked "edit".

I set the password and then was able to log in, see the camera and change the IP to static.

I have no idea how, or why, it worked. I would think it was a conflict with the router except I took the router out of the equation as suggested above, and it still didn't work.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and for following along.

It was the last time I was going to try it. Next I was going to take one of you up on your offer and ship it out. At least I would know what I was doing wrong.
So you must have had it on your network with the router connected if I'm understanding correct? Sounds like buggy firmware but glad you got it.