SSD experience

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an older i7 930 processor, supporting seven cameras (2 HD, 2 SD, 3 VGA). Processor usage runs 10-17%, and memory use stays well under 1gb. Last week my hard drive started to throw errors, so I looked into replacements and selected a 1tb Crucial SSD drive (the one generation old M500, under $300). What a difference. I used to see very noticeable lags when selecting clips to view, in particular when viewing via a browser; with the new SSD it is instantaneous.

In terms of switching drives, I tried to clone the old drive to the new one but failing sectors prevented that, so I reinstalled everything. Blueiris was easy, just export then import settings, and copy over all the old video clips. All in all, if you are considering a new HDD, I am very impressed with my SSD choice.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choice, amazing price. Just don't record 24/7 to this thing because that will wear it out quickly (SSDs have somewhat limited write endurance).

Usually you can get similar performance just by putting the clip database on an SSD, and/or by keeping the number of clips low (e.g. below 10,000 stored clips though that number varies by system). Storing everything on the SSD I am sure it works great!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choice, amazing price. Just don't record 24/7 to this thing because that will wear it out quickly (SSDs have somewhat limited write endurance).

Usually you can get similar performance just by putting the clip database on an SSD, and/or by keeping the number of clips low (e.g. below 10,000 stored clips though that number varies by system). Storing everything on the SSD I am sure it works great!
Good point for heavy users, however, that drive is rated to 72TB...and most drives last way longer than their rating http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
Assuming OP is using motion detection recording and writing about 1tb a month, the drive should be good for at least 6 years..(op is only running 2hd cameras...i have a location with 24mp total that can do over a month with 1tb)

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using motion detection. I think the drive will outlive my computer by many years. And performance is amazing.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I did is put my OS and BI on a small 240GB SSD, and then use a surveillance grade Seagate SATA3 drive for the storage... That way I have 2 independent controllers working together for better performance across the board. Granted two independent SSD's would be optimal, but as fast as SSDs *can* (not all of them) wear out... I'm good on a $58 1TB Seagate Drive instead of a $300 SSD failing... you can replace a lot of seagate drives before 1 SSD fails IMHO.