Spotter camera turns my ptz camera when it detects motion. BUT There's a problem!

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have blue iris set up like this;

Bullet camera used as a spotter camera, when The spotter camera detects motion it tells my PTZ camera to turn and zoom in. This works great!!

BUT There is a problem!

If my PTZ camera has a motion it will turn towards the spotter camera and I miss the motion that the ptz camera detects.
The only way to avoid this would be to turn off motion detection on the PTZ camera.

Is there away to have the ptz camera use motion and still use the spotter camera to activate the pze camera to turn?

Hopefully that's not too confusing lol.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your question but I'd love to know how you set that up as I'd like to try the same with my PTZ and fixed "spotter" cam. Do you have to create a "group" containing only your PTZ and then check the "Trigger camera groups" box and then check the "Move to preset" box where you have the preset number set to your spotter cam area? Am I close?

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your question but I'd love to know how you set that up as I'd like to try the same with my PTZ and fixed "spotter" cam. Do you have to create a "group" containing only your PTZ and then check the "Trigger camera groups" box and then check the "Move to preset" box where you have the preset number set to your spotter cam area? Am I close?
You are spot on. Give it a try.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have blue iris set up like this;

Bullet camera used as a spotter camera, when The spotter camera detects motion it tells my PTZ camera to turn and zoom in. This works great!!

BUT There is a problem!

If my PTZ camera has a motion it will turn towards the spotter camera and I miss the motion that the ptz camera detects.
The only way to avoid this would be to turn off motion detection on the PTZ camera.

Is there away to have the ptz camera use motion and still use the spotter camera to activate the pze camera to turn?

Hopefully that's not too confusing lol.
In the PTZ setup in BI, set the amount of time to disable motion when an event turns the cam.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing I have tried and it's working great so far is cloning the ptz camera. This way I can do different settings for triggers in the clone settings.. so far so good. I'm keeping your idea for another scenario tho.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So after months of research on this forum and elsewhere and slowly purchasing some Andy Cams and getting to point of I thought I would NVR it, I have been debating BI so I have the demo version going now that I am running through its paces.

I have watched the videos posted here by HomeTech Video and they have been great!

So one of the things I am trying to do is what is in this thread - make my PTZ move based on other cams triggers. In this video ( ), they show how you can go into alerts and setup a series of actions (see screenshots below from the video). I think these videos are an older version because it is a little different than the current version.

Anyway, my actions do not show up at the bottom of the alert as they are added - is it disabled in the demo version? Has anybody got the Post to web-address feature to work or is the cloning the best way to go about it?

1580610292581.png 1580610319066.png

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So after months of research on this forum and elsewhere and slowly purchasing some Andy Cams and getting to point of I thought I would NVR it, I have been debating BI so I have the demo version going now that I am running through its paces.

I have watched the videos posted here by HomeTech Video and they have been great!

So one of the things I am trying to do is what is in this thread - make my PTZ move based on other cams triggers. In this video ( ), they show how you can go into alerts and setup a series of actions (see screenshots below from the video). I think these videos are an older version because it is a little different than the current version.

Anyway, my actions do not show up at the bottom of the alert as they are added - is it disabled in the demo version? Has anybody got the Post to web-address feature to work or is the cloning the best way to go about it?

View attachment 54954 View attachment 54955
Let's just forget what you just posted and start from scratch.

You have 2 cameras, one is a still camera that doesn't move and you have a second camera that's a PTZ camera.
You want to automatically move the ptz camera when the still camera detects motion?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's just forget what you just posted and start from scratch.

You have 2 cameras, one is a still camera that doesn't move and you have a second camera that's a PTZ camera.
You want to auto automatically move the ptz camera when the still camera detects motion?
That is correct - it seems that people have said you do it in alerts, but that isn't working (at least in the demo version), and it looks like you have had success doing the clone method?

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is correct - it seems that people have said you do it in alerts, but that isn't working (at least in the demo version), and it looks like you have had success doing the clone method?
Let's see if we can get it working without cloning the camera.. I will explain why I cloned the camera after everything is working.
I just have a couple of questions to ask you before we get started.
# can you control the ptz camera from blue iris?
And both cameras are working within blue iris?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes to both questions.

I can set up the option to move to one preset for one zone location and that works great. But then I came across the video above that said how you could do that and have the PTZ go to one preset for zone A, another preset for Zone B, another Zone C, etc. all from one cam and that is where mine stops. Cloning wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't know if that option above doesn't work in demo mode or if their is a bug in the new version?

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes to both questions.

I can set up the option to move to one preset for one zone location and that works great. But then I came across the video above that said how you could do that and have the PTZ go to one preset for zone A, another preset for Zone B, another Zone C, etc. all from one cam and that is where mine stops. Cloning wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't know if that option above doesn't work in demo mode or if their is a bug in the new version?
If you have one still camera ( spotter camera ) you can only turn the ptz camera towards the one preset you have programmed. ...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have one still camera ( spotter camera ) you can only turn the ptz camera towards the one preset you have programmed. ...
Yes, that is correct. I can move it to one preset based on a zone in the spotter camera. What I would like is if person move into the next zone on spotter cam, that it will go to another preset zoomed in closer. I know it can be done as others have done that here.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. I can move it to one preset based on a zone in the spotter camera. What I would like is if person move into the next zone on spotter cam, that it will go to another preset zoomed in closer. I know it can be done as others have done that here.
So you have one spotter camera viewing Multiple zone triggers.. for example you are monitoring a mailbox on one side of the yard and the driveway at the other side of the yard all on the one spotter camera, and you want to ptz into each triggered motion zone you created on the spotter camera?

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If this is the case I would think you would have to do clones.
The only reason I had to do a clone is because every time my ptz camera had a motion trigger my ptz camera would turn towards the spotter camera.
So what I had to do is create a clone within bi and set up my motion zone for the ptz.
Now the ptz will not turn if the ptz its self has motion. The only.way it will turn is if the spotter camera tells it to.. kinda hard to explain tho lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you have one spotter camera viewing Multiple zone triggers.. for example you are monitoring a mailbox on one side of the yard and the driveway at the other side of the yard all on the one spotter camera, and you want to ptz into each triggered motion zone you created on the spotter camera?
Correct - so Zone A would be the left side of the spotter cam image and Zone B would be the right side - basically if someone enters from either way it would "track" them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If this is the case I would think you would have to do clones.
The only reason I had to do a clone is because every time my ptz camera had a motion trigger my ptz camera would turn towards the spotter camera.
So what I had to do is create a clone within bi and set up my motion zone for the ptz.
Now the ptz will not turn if the ptz its self has motion. The only.way it will turn is if the spotter camera tells it to.. kinda hard to explain tho lol
I will try the clone route as that seems easy enough - was just trying to figure out that video above suggestion!

Thanks!!!

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct - so Zone A would be the left side of the spotter cam image and Zone B would be the right side - basically if someone enters from either way it would "track" them.
I see what you are trying to do and I haven't tired this myself because I only have one zone to turn to if triggered.
I would be interested to see if you get it working.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes to both questions.

How I understand it, and how I just set mine up today, is that you need a separate clone camera for each preset spot you want your PTZ to be triggered to. For example where my PTZ is mounted I wanted to trigger it to look backwards, frontwards and to the left side. I needed to create 3 clones of the stationary cams providing those three views.

I'm doing the same for my other PTZ too. Sounds like it may be a pain though if I swap out (or re position) any of those stationary cams as I'll have to redo all the zones etc..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see what you are trying to do and I haven't tired this myself because I only have one zone to turn to if triggered.
I would be interested to see if you get it working.
So yes I am able to get it to work using the "clone and zone" method. I have 10 cloned cameras and each one has a designated zone and if something enters that zone, it calls up the PTZ preset for that particular area. I may have gone a little overboard LOL and may dial some back, but the results are fairly promising.

The biggest issue I see is even though the zone camera bitrates show 0 in BI, the actually added 50MP/s per clone. I was around 270 MP/s and now over 420MP/s. I designated the original cameras as the designated clone and then just copied. Not sure if it is a bug or error?