Spotter Cam capability question.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With an NVR, can a spotter cam direct a PTZ to cover an activated zone and then direct it to another geographically different activated zone?
In other words, can a single spotter cam direct a PTZ to cover multiple areas ( like the left area or the right area), or is there just one PTZ preset per spotter camera?

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alternatively, with two different PTZs say the left zone of a single spotter cam selectively trigger PTZ1 and the right zone selectively trigger PTZ2?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
With an NVR, can a spotter cam direct a PTZ to cover an activated zone and then direct it to another geographically different activated zone?
In other words, can a single spotter cam direct a PTZ to cover multiple areas ( like the left area or the right area), or is there just one PTZ preset per spotter camera?

Yes with a Dahua NVR anyway.

I have 3 separate IVS rules on an overview camera that doubles as a spotter for a PTZ
Each rule individually sends the PTZ to a different Preset.
In fact one rule sends the PTZ to a Preset view that the spotter cant even see..but activation of that Rule tells the PTZ to go to a Preset where it can catch vehicles exiting the neighborhood

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes with a Dahua NVR anyway.

I have 3 separate IVS rules on an overview camera that doubles as a spotter for a PTZ
Each rule individually sends the PTZ to a different Preset.
That's excellent as a Dahua NVR is what I just purchased. Is the requirement also to only use Dahua cameras?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Alternatively, with two different PTZs say the left zone of a single spotter cam selectively trigger PTZ1 and the right zone selectively trigger PTZ2?
Again yes. Triggers to activate the PTZ are made on the NVR and simply tell the PTZ to go somewhere when an event rule is activated by another camera.
(NOTE- Use IVS not MD or SMD and all will work MUCH better)

Example

Same Overview/spotter camera with different IVS rules
Each Rule tells the PTZ to go to a different preset

spotter-rule1.jpg spotter-rule1b.jpg

spotter-rule2.jpg spotter-rule2b.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So here's the end result
Spotter camera and PTZ on same pole. PTZ looks at the entrance in its Home Preset 1, Spotter/Overview camera looks down the street the opposite direction.

1- Spotter sees human entering neighborhood, tells PTZ to turn around to its Preset #2 and follow using its own IVS rules
spotter1.jpg
View attachment HOA Ent VPN_ch1_20230411104713_20230411104744.mp4

2- Spotter sees vehicle leaving neighborhood. Tells PTZ to zoom to entrance to catch plate (PTZ Preset #3)
spotter2.jpg
View attachment HOA Ent VPN_ch1_20230411095226_20230411095244.mp4

HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230411095240_@7.jpg

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is exactly what I am looking for, to be able to send a PTZ in tightly to different places for different alerts.
May I know what PTZ model this is as it looks very capable?
I am just setting up my first NVR now, I just received it today, thanks @EMPIRETECANDY

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That one is the SD6AL433XA-HNR, very capable but in the $1200-$1500 range. There are others more suitable for residential for $300-$600
SD6AL433XA-HNR

Recommend if you do go with a 4MP PTZ, make sure its running a 1/1.8" sensor nothing less