Split a Cat6 cable purchase? Suggestions for alternative?

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on reading in the forums, I am strongly considering buying this cable for my install:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11438

I will probably only need about half of that roll. Any interest in the other half?

Monoprice doesn't sell that cable in 500 foot lengths, which is about what I estimate I will need.

Do you have alternative suggestions for Cat6 cable?

Thanks.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @Kingsley What is leading you to this cable? Couple reasons I ask.

1. If this is for IP cameras you will be fine with Cat5e - sure cat 6 is the latest/greatest in a lot of peoples minds, but 90% of the time it isn't needed.
2. Are you pulling this cable through enclosed air space? Like heating/air duct work or in an elevator shaft? If not why are you getting the plenum jacket cable?

This is another option if you don't need it for the reasons cited above and this is 500'
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13678

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and questions.

This will substantially run through the attic in which there is currently no heating/air conditioning, only hot air during the long hot summers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and questions.

This will substantially run through the attic in which there is currently no heating/air conditioning, only hot air during the long hot summers.
The standard cat 5e cable I listed above for you will work perfect. The plenum cable you listed is for controlled air space runs as it relates to fumes during a fire that could be spread in an air system.

Again, you don't need Cat 6, Cat 5e will work for your project if its simply IP cameras, but if you want to spend a little more get cat 6. Just be aware cat 6 can be a little more difficult to terminate for the novice because the cable is a little thicker and there is an offset inside the rj45 end as well as the plastic T pair seperator in the cable gives some people problems for some reason.

Regardless of Cat5e or Cat6 - just assure what you get is Solid Core and NOT stranded or CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree, it can help a bit depending on the lengths of your runs, even though IPC's do not need the extra bandwidth provided by cat6 cabling anything thats PoE, which is DC power; will certainly benifit from the thicker wires of cat6.

the price difference is minimal and you may want to use this same spool to run uplinks between gigabit switches, so dont waste your time with cat5 IMHO

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can wait for cable monoprice offers free shipping all the time or discounts on the cable. Also i found it on amazon for same price and prime shipping.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@nayr you want to keep peoples ability in mind as well. As I cited Cat 6 cable especially the termination points will cause a novice frustration and problems as they will struggle with the plastic t separator as well as the thicker cable. Most users here looking for help and suggestions in cable are most likely a novice and may struggle with Cat 6.

Your statements are correct though that Cat 6 will be more efficient over 200'+ runs as it relates to power and power loss/attenuation. However, if this is a standard home most runs will be 100 - 150' on average. Also, I find it hard to believe but not impossible, that someone who is uncomfortable with cable is going to be running gigabit uplink switches.

My point though is what i state a lot here, making "personal" recommendations for users isn't always the best advice. You have to make recommendations that are beneficial to the user, the situation, and there skills/abilities. There is always a much larger picture here and that is what I try to get everyone to look at and consider before just saying "do this". I could say "screw Cat 5e/6 and just get a roll of multi mode zip cord and some media converters and do fiber to future proof anything you may want to do". While this is simple for me and I can splice and terminate fiber in my sleep I know the average user and surely not a novice can accomplish this.

To me - personally - its just frustrating seeing people led down what could be a more difficult path then what is needed. This topic is minor and either way I believe the user will be fine IMO, however this just feeds into the topic and issue I see at times where one user bases a suggestion on personal opinion then considering the larger picture.

And honestly if you have long runs 250'+ screw the cat 6, just get whats prob the best cable on the market http://www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti-toughcable-pro-cat5e-1000ft.html

There are several users here that are using Ubiquiti TC Cat 5e to run HIK Cameras at 500'.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i must have entirely failed to notice that cat6 cable was anymore difficult to work with than cat5e, I found it quite the opposite.. its less prone to kinking, makes nice tight connections with camera passthroughs, much less likely to be damaged when facing rough installs.. but I must have been working with both for so long now I cant see either really being all that frustrating.

and AC WiFi is capable of being a "Gigabit" uplink, and if they have a few spare poe ports left over after this its a natural progression.. but I digress $80 for more cat5e than you'll use in your life or $120 for more cat6 than you'll use in your life.. if $40 is what separates you from eternal peace then so be it.

me, I'll keep tossing the rolls of cat5e I stumble across into the tech waste disposal pile.. were not even allowed to use it at work and likewise I dont want it in my home.. who's to say in 10-20 years I wont have a few 50MP 3D 8k UHD cameras up and appreciate the solid gigabit connections running off the same lines I laid almost a decade ago.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
"Monoprice doesn't sell that cable in 500 foot lengths,"

Hmmmmm. I bought 2 500" rolls in white because that was the only way it came. They do sell it, maybe not the colors you are looking for.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
=Hmmmmm. I bought 2 500" rolls in white because that was the only way it came. They do sell it, maybe not the colors you are looking for.
I searched again and only found plenum white (or any color) Cat6 cable in 1000' rolls. This was confirmed with monoprice by telephone. If you've got a link, please share it.

There are other cables available in 250 and 500 foot rolls.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are not running the cable inside of air ducts you dont need plenum rated which they have in 500' rolls. Is there a reason you want plenum?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I searched again and only found plenum white (or any color) Cat6 cable in 1000' rolls. This was confirmed with monoprice by telephone. If you've got a link, please share it.

There are other cables available in 250 and 500 foot rolls.
Here is the link to what I ordered. 500 mhz, 23 gauge solid copper pairs. 250', 500' and 1000'. Just scroll down a little. Edit: It looks like they are out of stock at the moment. Maybe Amazon?

https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=105&cp_id=10234

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Indeed, although not plenum cable, I spotted that one and got on their "notify" list. Thanks.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll keep tossing the rolls of cat5e I stumble across into the tech waste disposal pile.. were not even allowed to use it at work and likewise I dont want it in my home.. who's to say in 10-20 years I wont have a few 50MP 3D 8k UHD cameras up and appreciate the solid gigabit connections running off the same lines I laid almost a decade ago.
AC WiFi is capable of being a "Gigabit" uplink, and if they have a few spare poe ports left over after this its a natural progression
Not trying to beat a dead horse but I'm confused on some of your reasoning - I also want to clarify for others that may interpret any of the above incorrectly.

Cat5e (SOLID core) is fully capable of 1000Mbsp (sure 1Gbps is 1024Mbps but seriously are we going to discuss 24Mbps as a breaking point?) and utilizes frequencies upto 100MHz, standards are POE upto 100M (328 feet total) the extra 10M is normally considered from patch panel jumpers, outlet jumpers, etc. So Cat5e is capable of being used for an uplink port in a residential environment and even many business environments. - Yes there are MANY examples of IP POE cameras being used upto 500' with quality cable and no issues reported, but I am citing Industry Standards.

Cat6 is capable of 10Gbps but only if less that 50M (150') but has a freq range of up to 250MHz, at 100M though you are back to 1000Mpbs capability and in the same place as you were with Cat 5e... One of the biggest misconceptions is that Cat6 provides all this better throughput ability and future proofing - but that's not the case unless under specific conditions.

Thus based on the reasoning above to future proof everything for the next 10 years, you would want to install Cat6a - which supports frequencies up 500MHz and speeds to 10Gbps the full standards distance of 100M.

As it relates to the need for Plenum Cable - Plenum is an area typically above a drop ceiling or under a false floor or an elevator shaft or duct work. This is area that is heated or cooled and provides that air to occupied space by individuals - this cable is normally more expensive as it meets different fire standards. As a general rule of thumb as it relates to professional environments. General use cable is used in offices or common space, Plenum cable is used in drop ceilings, false floors, or shared air spaces, and Riser Rated cable is used when going from one floor to the other and similar to plenum is coated differently so if burning the fire does not move up the cable and transfer from one floor to another, this cable also has a tougher jacket or reinforced string inside to help support the vertical weight of the hanging cable to assure the twisted pairs are not what are supporting the weight.

Again, not trying to be an ass here - just trying to clarify technical specifics as some of the statements above are based on an interpretation and could be interpreted incorrectly.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Pro's in our country say cat6 will be skipped over during next move up and go right to fibre optic so waste to bother with it as cat5e is more than fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The Pro's in our country say cat6 will be skipped over during next move up and go right to fibre optic so waste to bother with it as cat5e is more than fine.
That makes no sense at all. The "pro's" have no idea what they are taking about. IP cameras will not outgrow cat6 in your lifetime. Compression gets better as bitrate requirements increase. Fiber has serve drawbacks with respect to installation and the fact that it cannot transmit power which is a huge plus for ip cameras.
The cost difference of 5 vs 6 for the same type cable is generally about 30 dollars.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
That makes no sense at all. The "pro's" have no idea what they are taking about. IP cameras will not outgrow cat6 in your lifetime. Compression gets better as bitrate requirements increase. Fiber has serve drawbacks with respect to installation and the fact that it cannot transmit power which is a huge plus for ip cameras.
The cost difference of 5 vs 6 for the same type cable is generally about 30 dollars.
Don't... Just Don't Fender.... Let it go, I to started earlier but told me self "NO MORE".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't... Just Don't Fender.... Let it go, I to started earlier but told me self "NO MORE".
eh, I cant let false information be dispensed on this site. Some folks like to believe anything some guy at the end of phone line or behind a counter tells them.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
eh, I cant let false information be dispensed on this site. Some folks like to believe anything some guy at the end of phone line or behind a counter tells them.
Totally agree sir, as I've said that all to many times, even in this thread sadly. But this one user is like a dark rabbit hole that never ends. :(

Appreciate all your hard work and willingness to keep this such an open forum, even though some people have such a long, long, leash...