Something similar to Abode Edge ?

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

The long battery life and 1.5 mile WiFi (HaLow) distance are quite appealing for placing some remote cameras. My guess is the image quality isn't too great and it only works w/ their subscription system.

Is anyone aware of similar but better quality cameras that would work with Security Spy and similar NVR's? Ideally with a battery that could be charged w/ a small solar panel?

(BTW, HaLow isn't new. There are a number of devices that have used it for at least the past 5 or so years).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was installing Ubiquiti 900MHz radios as PtP bridges from 2010 to 2012. Although the co. I worked for used mostly 2.4GHz and a few 5GHz Nanostations and Locos, the m900 Rockets and Nanos were used in areas where LOS was very poor or non-existent due to dense foliage.

Ubiquiti for some reason abandoned those 900 radio's with little warning and PO'ed many WISP's, leaving them in the lurch. It may have been as late as 2015 as the WISP I worked for sold-out, he left town and I was left to do my own thing and had no need for 900's, only 2.4's and 5's. Ubiquiti's dropping the 900's like a hot rock may be because they were informed of the FCC's plans to re-allocate the 900 spectrum, I have no idea. I think the bandwidth (channel widths) may have been improved with the 802.11ha spec (HaLow) but I wanted to mention that 900MHz isn't really that new (as @TundraCam stated), at least 14 years old, AFAIK.

Last edited: