Something better than IPC-HFW8232E-Z?

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this camera but is there something newer that is better than can be used in a similar way? Just want good day / night performance. Should I look for something higher in megapixels or stick with 2mp?

Also some time back I bought a microphone to add to this thing, but I can't remember how to install it. Amazon.com: Microseven M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone for M7B77-POE, M7B57-WPS, M7B77-W,M7D77-POE, Any IP Network Camera & PTZ IP Camera with Audio Interface -an IP Camera External Microphone: Electronics

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have to agree with the previous comments, I 've a couple of 8232E-ZE, and some 5442E-ZE/5442TM-AS, and honestly, I find, overall, better the second ones (the 7442 is even better ... :) )

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds Like I should buy a 7442? Any reviews comparing the 5442 to the 7442? Best place to purchase them?

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Advantage of 5442 is turret housing, 7442/7842 and 5842 is only available with dome or bullet housing.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought bullet housing was best because turrets tend to get more glare? Honestly I have only ever use bullet cameras.
Right now I have the HFW8232E-Z and the zoom version (which I use to also get plates at night)
sounds like the best replacement would be the 7442 then? Is amazon the best place to buy it?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Send an email to Andy and ask for a quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No mention of Hikvision? 2347 beats even 5442 because f/1.0 instead of f/1.6 on 5442 (although there is a new 1.0 version of 5442)

That said it's bigger. Maybe more chance customs inspects it.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No mention of Hikvision? 2347 beats even 5442 because f/1.0 instead of f/1.6 on 5442 (although there is a new 1.0 version of 5442)

That said it's bigger. Maybe more chance customs inspects it.
It looks like the zoom version is F1.8 but the fixed lens version is 1.0?

Not sure if I'm looking at the right things, as only the first one is labeled Starlight?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua makes the call whether or not it is Starlight or Starlight+ (both big differences). Dahua can even change the minimum requirements over time without notice to disclaim something as Starlight or Starlight+
To avoid being trapped by the marketing gimmick, you need to decide based on the reviews that users post on this forum

It looks like the zoom version is F1.8 but the fixed lens version is 1.0?

Not sure if I'm looking at the right things, as only the first one is labeled Starlight?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not unusual at all for a varifocal/zoom lens to be slower than the equivalent fixed focal length lens, within the focal length range. There are more lenses between the sensor and the rest of the world in a variable focus lens.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any reason I would want a turret housing if I am upgrading from a bullet camera? I mean I already have a hole in the wall for a bullet type mount, and I'm not sure a turret would work well on the side of the wall? I thought turrets were best for roof mounting where the base is attached pointed upwards? I would basically want to point it the same was I have the bullet camera installed?

And here I still thought my old cameras were impressive still :p I did pay more for them than the 5442s
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
IPC-HFW8232E-Z

Most people tell me how good there's are and I pull mine up on my phone and they are like wtf how is yours so clear!

Right now I'm leaning towards
Loryta IPC-B5442E-ZE, maybe even replace both the cameras we have.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any reason I would want a turret housing if I am upgrading from a bullet camera? I mean I already have a hole in the wall for a bullet type mount, and I'm not sure a turret would work well on the side of the wall? I thought turrets were best for roof mounting where the base is attached pointed upwards? I would basically want to point it the same was I have the bullet camera installed?

And here I still thought my old cameras were impressive still :p I did pay more for them than the 5442s
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
IPC-HFW8232E-Z

Most people tell me how good there's are and I pull mine up on my phone and they are like wtf how is yours so clear!

Right now I'm leaning towards
Loryta IPC-B5442E-ZE, maybe even replace both the cameras we have.
Turrets look cooler. Autoturret pew pew

They also attract spiders less I feel. Been running my 2431 in B/W at night and no spiderwebs.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A turret can be mounted in any position. Most of mine are under the eaves, but I do have one mounted vertically to a tree. There used to be a big advantage for a turret over a bullet when it comes to spiders. Now, with the IR LEDs being spaced away from the lens of the bullets, rather than in a ring around the lens, it's not much of a problem with bullets either. I have a 5442E-ZE, also, and have only had to clean the spider webs twice in about four months.