Some idiot keeps adding cameras...

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I've got 34 cams and 3 blank cams with images from Siteshoter (plus 2 more USB cams when I'm running my 3D Printer), and I'm thinking about adding a couple more cams. I think my I7-3770 is getting a little upset with me. It's not just the cams, it's all the tablets that are viewing them as well. When I only have say... 3 tablets viewing, my CPU is normally around... 38%. But, when I have them all going, it's around 65%. The clunker seems to be when you toss in fog or a bright, partly cloudy, windy day. That poor CPU maxes out too much. I'd like to try AI on 3 or 4 of the cams, but it just isn't going to happen with the hardware I currently use.

So... I've read the Wiki obviously. I've run BI for many years. I7-8700 with 16GB ram is the recommended bang for the buck. I only want to do this once (right, eh? :p ). Any thoughts/opinions or should i just go with the recommended?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sound like a logical path to me.....just go with Win 11 Pro. I'm a bigger fan of Win 10 but MS support for 10 will end Oct. 2025. :confused:

And I'm positive that as a IPCT veteran of 8 years and a Wiki reader you'll put Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder on a SSD and the video clips on 1 or more HDD's, preferably surveillance-rated. :cool:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say i7-8700 is a modest upgrade. It is a few generations of minor performance uplifts (intel was lazy back then) and 2 more cores than you have now. Goes for around $140. Dell Precision Tower 3431 PC 3.20GHz Core i7-8700 16GB RAM No HDD/SSD | eBay

But if you are willing to spend more, then about $480 can get you a refurbished lenovo with i7-13700 which is a massive improvement and will last you a lot longer and give you a lot more room for running AI workloads on CPU.

Benchmark comparison:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I got it the other day. It is what it says it is. I simply ran it for a day using UI3 in Firefox with no issues. Yesterday I set up BI on it, made the necessary changes, transferred the key and let it rip. I set it up exactly the way the old computer was running it (and the extras). Task Manager was showing BI on the old box at around 65% CPU and shows BI on this box at around 13% CPU. Funny thing is, BI on the old box showed pretty much exactly what it showed in Task Manager. On this box, BI shows 0% to 1% CPU. It's probably the change from Win10 on the old one and Win11 on the new one, but what do I know.

I'll still let it run for a few days before I go messing with AI or whatever.

One more thing, just for S&G, I'm trying simply ZeroTier out without Vultr. It takes 3 extra clicks to get ZeroTier going to run BI and then 3 extra clicks to shut down ZeroTier when I'm done checking BI on my phone or tablet when I'm out. Seems simple enough but I'll pay for an extra month of Vultr just to keep the server there (turned off) to make sure I'm happy with only ZeroTier. I'm guessing I will be but I won't cheap out while I'm testing...