Some Hikvision cameras become intermittent (lose connection ) in low temperature cold weather (-16 deg C / 0 deg F and colder)

Western

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a number of Hikvision cameras both outside and inside our western Canadian home, connected hardwired POE and accessed by Synology Surveillance Station. It historically has been a pretty reliable system over the years. In recent months I am finding that the DS-2CD2032F-I cameras which are a few years old are starting to get flaky (intermittently repeatedly lose connection for 15-30 mins and then reconnect) when the temperature drops below about -16 deg C (0 deg F). I have checked out the cabling, connectors, swapped things around to the network switch ports, etc, and have ruled all those causes out. I am very confident that the issue is in the camera, and associated with temperature. Things are well-sealed and I see no sign of moisture infiltration being an issue.

I have several newer larger sensor higher res DS-2CD2T85F-I5 and DS-2CD2087G2-L cameras also mounted outside on the same network, and they have been rock solid in the same temperature environment, which has been down to around -35 deg C (-30 deg F) at times. The now flaky DS-2CD2032F-I cameras have been in service for a number of years without previous issue, and through what I seem to recall being similar cold spells. So perhaps some components capacitors etc are aged and now marginal to specs – don’t know. When the cameras disconnect from SS, I also cannot access them via web browser either until they resume connection in 15-30 mins. As long as the temperature is warmer than -16 deg C, the cameras are solid, until the next temperature dip when the disconnects start occurring again.

I haven’t come across much commentary about temperature issues for the Hikvision cameras, so just wanted to share this experience for the possible benefit of others in cold climates. I don’t see any solution other than just replacing these cameras with the newer higher res cameras similar to others that I have on the network, and which don’t seem to have a problem (at least so far) with low temperature.

Western

n3wb
Reaction score
All camera cables come through walls into interior spaces and connections are made inside. Thorough waterproofing and seals inside and out. Identical setups for both solid and flaky cameras. Swapping cables, ports etc the problem stays with the camera, doesn't move. The disconnects correlate exactly with the ambient exterior temperature. When I replace a flaky camera with a newer cam, the problem goes away. When I put back the flaky camera, the problem recurs. Identical symptoms with multiple DS-2CD2032F-I cameras. One day when I have a bit more time I'm going to do a temp test with one of the flaky cameras and put in the freezer hooked up and see what happens. Maybe I'll open it up and see what I can see. In the meantime I'm not going to spend more time on the flaky cameras, and just replace them with newer higher res models, several of which I have already in service, and which are performing fine in this climate (at least for now!!)..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just like cars get harder to start in the winter when they get older, same with cameras LOL.

The internals wear down and break down and temperature shrinkage on an already questionable component can cause issues.