Some (Dahua) QC8816 NVR fan noise louder than others.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've read many reviews about the QC8816 making noise compared to a jet fighter taking off, loud clicking, buzzing or just plain noisy...Some actually returned the system to Costco because of the noise. On the other hand many reviews stated that it was quiet and not a problem... I guess I got lucky because mine is quiet like a regular desktop. Is this a problem with Q-See quality control....???
(I know it's a rebranded Dahua but I'm not sure which Dahua NVR it compares to.)

My question is has anyone else gotten this NVR (either through Costco or whoever) that was very loud and fixed it or returned it...??

The QC8816 has a case, power supply, and CPU fan. The CPU fan is the loudest of the three. (In my system.)

Power Supply Fan is second loudest and these are the Power Supply Specs...

IMG_8742.jpgQuiet Case fan (Was installed upside down at the factory so it didn't match up with its vent.) Fixed...
case-fan.jpg
Noisy little CPU fan and board....
NVR-board.jpg
Back of QC8816.....
NVR-8816-back.jpg

Bad ............ Software a little buggy but it's a decent NVR.
Good............Three USB ports, Up to 4 6TB HD (24TB total), Records with up to 4K resolution.

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems to me Qsee is making some revisions or these systems are produced in different factories in China. I do not understand why would they glue the fan to the case and also why would they glue eSata cable to the hard drive.

This NVR is way too loud for home use. I had contacted Qsee but they're not swapping or offering any type of better quality more quiet power supply.
In more opinion the loudest in the system is the power supply.

20151024_101327.jpg20151024_101511.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems to me Qsee is making some revisions or these systems are produced in different factories in China. I do not understand why would they glue the fan to the case and also why would they glue eSata cable to the hard drive.

This NVR is way too loud for home use. I had contacted Qsee but they're not swapping or offering any type of better quality more quiet power supply.
In more opinion the loudest in the system is the power supply.

View attachment 6214View attachment 6215
I noticed the glue on the fan.. ?? You might take a closer look at your case fan to see if it lines up with the vent. Mine was upside down and wasn't lined up because the wires on the bottom were pushing it up. If you turn it so the wires are on top the fan can set down more in that slot.

The eSata cables on mine have clips to hold them in instead of glue.

Also there is a discussion on another thread about replacement fans that are a lot quieter (cost a little more though.)
If I find it again I'll put a link here for you. Look up "Noctua" on Amazon.

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try to flip the fan and see if that helps to reduce overall noise. My unit have also clips on the harness cables but esata cable itself is glued into hard drive.

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed the glue on the fan.. ?? You might take a closer look at your case fan to see if it lines up with the vent. Mine was upside down and wasn't lined up because the wires on the bottom were pushing it up. If you turn it so the wires are on top the fan can set down more in that slot.

The eSata cables on mine have clips to hold them in instead of glue.

Also there is a discussion on another thread about replacement fans that are a lot quieter (cost a little more though.)
If I find it again I'll put a link here for you. Look up "Noctua" on Amazon.

I took power supply apart, and took fan out, the fan noise alone makes noise of over 45dba. Qsee should really be ashamed of themselves of approving such a loud power supply.

famx

n3wb
Reaction score

what do you have plugged in into usb port on the back of the unit..... is it wifi or bluetooth usb conntoller for the mouse?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's for a wireless mouse. On the Q-see website knowledgebase Q&A they will tell you that a wireless mouse won't work. Mine works fine.
I also use the other rear port with an external drive for back ups but unhooked it for the picture.
The USB port in the front I use with a flash drive for quick back ups.
Having 3 ports comes in handy. (I couldn't spell convienent)

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also received two HDBW4421R cameras. They have Chinese firmware but they work fine with the 8816 menu system. I asked the seller if he could send me english firmware for this camera. I'll just have to figure out how to do it properly by reading some threads on here about it. If all else fails my wife reads Chinese so I can always bother her....... :joyous:

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
It's for a wireless mouse. On the Q-see website knowledgebase Q&A they will tell you that a wireless mouse won't work. Mine works fine.
I also use the other rear port with an external drive for back ups but unhooked it for the picture.
The USB port in the front I use with a flash drive for quick back ups.
Having 3 ports comes in handy. (I couldn't spell convienent)
I tried my logictech anywhereMX wireless mouse, but no luck. What model and brand of wireless mouse you're using.

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
I also received two HDBW4421R cameras. They have Chinese firmware but they work fine with the 8816 menu system. I asked the seller if he could send me english firmware for this camera. I'll just have to figure out how to do it properly by reading some threads on here about it. If all else fails my wife reads Chinese so I can always bother her....... :joyous:

Does this camera is capable and records audio for you?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this camera is capable and records audio for you?
I don't know about the audio. With my setup I'm not really interested in audio capabilities.

The wireless mouse I'm using is Logitech M510. $25 on Amazon.

I also have used a cheaper one by SIIG.

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the CPU fan did you try adjusting (tightening or loosening) the (small black) screws on the inside of the fan that hold it to the heat sink?

That worked on my re-branded Dahau (different model than this QSEE).

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the CPU fan did you try adjusting (tightening or loosening) the (small black) screws on the inside of the fan that hold it to the heat sink?

That worked on my re-branded Dahau (different model than this QSEE).
Thanks for the suggestion Mr Hoog23. Next time I pull the cover off I'll try that. What model QC NVR do you have...?

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Mr Hoog23. Next time I pull the cover off I'll try that. What model QC NVR do you have...?
[h=1]I have a EYEsurv ESDV-NVRMINI-16 (Dahua rebrand). Your cpu cooler looks like the same as mine.[/h]

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a EYEsurv ESDV-NVRMINI-16 (Dahua rebrand). Your cpu cooler looks like the same as mine.
I'll give it a try. I wonder how many rebrands Dahua has......?? I thought Q-See was it but hey I'm new to this... :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give it a try. I wonder how many rebrands Dahua has......?? I thought Q-See was it but hey I'm new to this... :)
eyesurv is nellys security in house dahua brand...
FLIR also rebrands dahua as well as its subsidiaries Lorex and Digimerge.

famx

n3wb
Reaction score
Would love to know if your new camera has built in microphone and this Qsee 8816 NVR recegonize it and is capable of recording audio. Some sellers on Aliexpress list and sell exact camera you purchased and in their description says audio in and out.

Reaction score
Has another been able to figure out how to quite the power supply fan? Maybe there's a replacement power supply we could buy?
For my system, the power supply is the loudest.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has another been able to figure out how to quite the power supply fan? Maybe there's a replacement power supply we could buy?
For my system, the power supply is the loudest.
You might be able to just replace the fan with a higher quality one. I've replaced a desktop power supply fan before that had froze up. :( If you have the same NVR as I have it looks like a standard size fan. I'd have to look again to be sure. The fan was hard wired to the power supply instead of a plug so you might have to do some surgery.