Some camera advice....

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a NVR5216-4KS2 from @EMPIRETECANDY and wanted to get some advice abotu cameras. Normally I buy off Amazon where I have great return policy so with the thought that I need to get the cameras correct up front and have to live with them I thought I would ask the collective vastly more experienced folks here.

I have read some debates about turrets/eyeball, dome and bullets where it looks like the consensus is the turret is the best all around camera? Bullets I guess are more prone to be vandalized and knocked off and domes are most secure, but the housing can impact image. Is that a fair assessment?

With that in mind I am looking to surround my home with mostly

IPC-HDW4830EM-AS and just wanted to make sure how it compares to the IPC-HDBW4830E-AS as visually domes look more appealing. Does anyone have first hand experience with these 2 cameras?

Also how does the IPC-HFW4830E-S compare to the the above 2 cameras?

In similar comparison I need 1 camera with optical zoom and wanted feed back on these:
IPC-HDW5830R-Z vs. IPC-HDBW5830R-Z

Then finally are the 4K cameras that much better than the 4MP version below? I see some of the online video comparison about how much more detail they catpurre, but wanted some real world opinions?

IPC-HDW4431EM-AS
IPC-HDBW4431R-AS
IPC-HFW5431E-Z

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a NVR5216-4KS2 from @EMPIRETECANDY and wanted to get some advice abotu cameras. Normally I buy off Amazon where I have great return policy so with the thought that I need to get the cameras correct up front and have to live with them I thought I would ask the collective vastly more experienced folks here.

He has an Amazon storefront now if you're more comfortable with their return policy? Andy has never failed to make things right here on the forums if an anomaly occurred. He wouldn't have been here so long if that were the case.
https://www.amazon.com/s?tag=ipctk-20&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A329YQ83EBQGJF&merchant=A329YQ83EBQGJF&redirect=true

I have read some debates about turrets/eyeball, dome and bullets where it looks like the consensus is the turret is the best all around camera? Bullets I guess are more prone to be vandalized and knocked off and domes are most secure, but the housing can impact image. Is that a fair assessment?

The turret is the best outdoor all around solution, but vandalism isn't the main reason. The polycarbonate dome will degrade over time and become "hazy" due to UV rays. Bullets have glass enclosures to protect the lens, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, (or wife). Every install is unique but most of us mount the cameras high enough from vandals to be a worry. May not be the case in your situation. Not sure of the security/safety of your home and neighborhood, but it would take some brass balls to approach your cameras and vandalize them. With the proper setup, the entire approach would be recorded and usually dissuaded. Even fake cameras will make the perp just move on to the next home that doesn't have cams.

With that in mind I am looking to surround my home with mostly

IPC-HDW4830EM-AS and just wanted to make sure how it compares to the IPC-HDBW4830E-AS as visually domes look more appealing. Does anyone have first hand experience with these 2 cameras?

Unfortunately, I don't, as the 5231 is the best all around low light solution out there. I've installed over 20 of them now, in multiple locations for friends, family and customers. Don't get sucked in to the megapixel trap. The higher resolution sensors gather less photons in low light. If nighttime recording isn't a concern, or your ambient light sources are strong enough, this may not be a problem. I also realize the cams you spec are less expensive than the 5231. The varifocal does make the setup much easier, but will proper lens selection, a fixed field of view can be a viable solution.

Also how does the IPC-HFW4830E-S compare to the above 2 cameras?

A bullet, a turret and a dome. The above comparisons will apply. Don't use an HDBW out in the sunlight.

In similar comparison I need 1 camera with optical zoom and wanted feed back on these:
IPC-HDW5830R-Z vs. IPC-HDBW5830R-Z

If you are inside, you can opt for the HDBW. Maybe you are mounting under a soffit, or on the North facing part of your home, but Mother Nature will win and degrade the quality of the dome.

Then finally are the 4K cameras that much better than the 4MP version below? I see some of the online video comparison about how much more detail they capture, but wanted some real world opinions?

IPC-HDW4431EM-AS
IPC-HDBW4431R-AS
IPC-HFW5431E-Z

That's going to be a very subjective response. Mathematically, you will have double the pixel density. A 4 MP sensor will use the light it gathers more effectively than an 8 MP, and a 2 MP even more so.

SD

Thanks for all your help in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I have been dealing with Andy and will likely get my cameras from him as well, which is why I want to get it right up front. I have been building my list and based on feedback defaulting to the turret for anything out in the sun and open. I do have a few places (under porch, soffit and indoors) that the dome may be OK and a few long rang places a bullet or turrent with varifocal will be fine. I have flood lights on the property so there is some ambient light and a street light in front of the house, so the MP over the starlight may be better for the details. I have been weighing back and forth lower MP with varifocal vs. fixed higher MP and will base it on how much area I need the camera to cover.

I do understand the sensor size vs. MP debate as I am an amateur photographer and went full frame sensor for that exact reason. The balance I was looking at with the 4MP cams was WDR since there are a few spots that will be in a mix of sun light and shade where WDR may be very helpful.

Thanks again!

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the feedback so far. I have narrowed my list to the folloing cameras that I will use based on location. I was wondering if anyone had first hand expierience with any of these? Most of them are in the Eco-Savvy 3.0 line, but the specs look very impressive. According to their viseo most of that line has the Starlight sensor, although not as well speced as the 2MP versions.

IPC-HDBW4231E-AS
IPC-HDBW4431E-AS
IPC-HDW4631EM-ASE
IPC-HDW4830EM-AS
IPC-HFW5631E-ZE

Andy has almost everything I need except 1 of the 8MP cameras.

I am doing a mix of resolutions based on what distance and detail I believe I need. I have decent ambient lighting on most of the property. I focused on the DORI specs and targeted what range I thought I needed to be able to identify subjects.

Any feedback is welcome.