Solving some NFS issues on Hikvision cameras

Reaction score
I'm not able to open the davinci.tar.gz file, because i'm not authorized. The Unix User\nobody needs to authorize me to edit the file.
Any ideas?

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not able to open the davinci.tar.gz file, because i'm not authorized. The Unix User\nobody needs to authorize me to edit the file.
Any ideas?
sudo chown USER.USER davinci.tar.gz

mefuzar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I own a DS-2CD7153-E camera (http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=506)

I've been trying to apply this patch but I have a IPC firmware (5.1.0 131202 - downloaded from: http://www.hikvision.com/en/download_more.asp?id=1347) , and I couldn't find above HEX in the file davinci file after extracting the TGZ file.

Can someone please send me the info.bin file from the NFS root folder ?
After debugging, i can see the camera is looking for it and I suspect that the disk stays on: "Uninitialized" and doesn't switch to: "Normal" because this file is missing.

If you can please upload a file or please send me to my email (mefuzar@gmail.com) ?

Thanks,
Mefuzar

Last edited by a moderator:

abel408

n3wb
Reaction score
I word of warning. I tried doing this with a camera that had the 6.2 firmware and it seemed to have bricked my camera. I found the matching string for the 6.1 firmware and replaced it with what was on this post and gave the camera a reboot. Can't even ping the device anymore and the IR lights stay on. Tried to factory reset it by holding down the reset button and that didn't work either...

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't stress, I've been there a few times monkeying with 5.2. I think they put a checksum in there so if it's modified, it bricks the camera. Just do the TFTP method to install 5.1 and you'll be OK. Let me know if you need help with that but basically you download the TFTP software, extract it into a directory, put the 5.1 English firmware digicap.dav file in there, change your PC IP to 192.0.0.128, unplug the camera, start the TFTP program, plug the camera in and it will take about a minute and you'll get a message when its' done.

Have not had a chance to see what is causing this problem, but someone smarter than me here may be able to figure out how to update or bypass the checksum so you can apply the NAS patch.

abel408

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't stress, I've been there a few times monkeying with 5.2. I think they put a checksum in there so if it's modified, it bricks the camera. Just do the TFTP method to install 5.1 and you'll be OK. Let me know if you need help with that but basically you download the TFTP software, extract it into a directory, put the 5.1 English firmware digicap.dav file in there, change your PC IP to 192.0.0.128, unplug the camera, start the TFTP program, plug the camera in and it will take about a minute and you'll get a message when its' done.

Have not had a chance to see what is causing this problem, but someone smarter than me here may be able to figure out how to update or bypass the checksum so you can apply the NAS patch.
That's what I was thinking about because I have bricked and recovered openwrt routers before. I don't have a Windows PC though. Could I just tftp with linux and push the firmware?

abel408

n3wb
Reaction score
Linux is shipped with TFTP. I'll try it out tomorrow and let everyone know if it worked and what steps I took to achieve it.

abel408

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn't able to unbrick my camera. It could be because I am using a trendnet camera with the HikVision firmware loaded. I was unable to ping 192.0.0.64 which is the default ip address on the HikVision cameras. I also tried 192.168.10.30 which is the default ip address on the Trendnet cameras.

RichardU

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy. Using v5.1.6 build 140412, I am able to get my Hikvision DS-2CD3332-I to see the haneWIN NFS server without any hacks. Let me know if anyone wants any settings.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having problem connecting my DS-2CD2732F-I(S) V5.1.2 build 140116 to my NFS server. I created a nfs server on a fedora box, I can mount the folder from other machines. But it seems that when I configure my camera, nothing is happening. Yes, I rebooted the camera after configuring it. It does not even give me the option to format it. BTW, why should it format it, that looks strange to me. Reading through all that thread, it looks like I'm further away than any one of you :(

Vin

josh

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using 5.2.0 and can find partial string matches, but not exact string matches. I'm curious to know how you determining what string needs to be replaced with another string, or if you know the string to replace in 5.2.0.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hopefully the following observation is of some interest to people.

This weekend I spent at least 8 hours tinkering with a 5.1.2 firmware turret. This post is long because I'm quite meticulous and try zillions of things when trying to solve a problem! Storage is via a Windows 8.1 PC and attempting to store data on local drives only. I tried FreeNFS, but it seemed to be flaky and regular uninitializing of drives. I then tried haneWIN and after unblocking its three exes in my firewall it worked.

But here is what really puzzled me and I'm 90% sure I've identified something that is a real thing (maybe others have and I'm super late to the party): this camera doesn't like large disks. I only stumbled upon this fact when it occurred to me, against expectations, that the only stable NAS drive I was seeing was using some old 250 GB USB drive I had running through haneWIN. After initializing this drive I've been unable to break it; the camera has been rebooted, I've turned the firewall on/off, I've yanked the cable on the PC. I've removed the drive from the camera storage tab, then re-added it. In all cases it quickly finds the drive again and continues to work.

On the contrast, whether using haneWIN's NFS, or the camera's SMB/CIFS function, when I try the same on a 1 TB drive that had 400 GB of data on it and 600 GB free, even if I could initialize (often it would fail), the best I could hope for was a couple min before it would de-initialize again. On that very same drive, I then shrunk it down to 800 GB, with a 200 GB simple drive, on its own new drive letter, hooked it up to haneWIN, and it ran all day today flawlessly. 20 minutes ago I then tried the SMB/CIFS on the original USB 250 GB drive, it initialized, and it's now been saving to the camera again. (that's a very short test so far, I agree).

In networkcameracritic's review of the Hikvision cube, some random comment by a reader speaks of a 500 GB disk causing issues, but I didn't see it anywhere else mentioned.

BTW I have my file size at the camera's default .5 GB size, even though the actual .mp4 files it creates are all 1/4GB.

At one point I did try to initialize an 8 GB drive and it failed, so there may be a minimum size as well that the drive needs to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivordurham

n3wb
Reaction score
This problem can be worked-around without a firmware patch by enabling quotas on the share/NFS volume and then setting the quota for the user by whom the camera's files are created lower than the available space prior to the Format operation. I got this directly from HikVision support/R&D in China after my problem report was escalated. HikVision does not yet view this as their bug; the NAS system is violating their assumption about the camera having access to every last byte on the share (rather than just the free space at the time of the Format operation).