SOLVED: System suddenly running at 100% CPU

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
click on the camera then choose camera settings, and in the tab for(edit) GENERAL video i think it shows both current streams and what they are streaming at.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris rescales the sub stream so it matches the main stream's aspect ratio automatically.

In BI cam properties you should see stats for the Main stream and the Sub stream separately. Also in Blue Iris Status window > Cameras tab you can see this for all your cameras in a more condensed format.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
BI resizes the sub stream to match the main stream aspect ratio. Sorry, I was actually doing some physical work and got side tracked.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Talk about life happening... still haven't had time to play, but will in a bit. @IReallyLikePizza2, It's an older i7-49xx desktop with 16gb. Saving to an external 12TB drive, and OS drive is a 256GB SSD. It's a dedicated machine and I've stripped down all the non-essential apps and services. It usually sits around 60% when there is little activity, and as high as 95% when raining or foggy. But never does it peg at 100% and become lethargic.

Having turned on the HW acceleration on each camera has returned me back to the 60% range, so the crisis is over. However, I really do want to move to sub streams to bring it down further. Especially if there is no significant performance or quality penalty.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - that is a large amount of cameras on that CPU!

You really need to use the substreams - it will result in performance improvements and no quality penalty. When looking at the tile cascade of cameras, you cannot tell - I have my substreams down at 256 bitrate and you cannot tell the difference, and then when you select one camera, it will switch to mainstream.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
HAs anyone had any particular camera that seemed to not switch back to mainstream, when showing you a saved motion clip? or is this an optical illusion? I can't say wether its the overslammed system resources, or the camera, but i have one that seems to behave better in terms of clip playback clarity with substreams off. Now i have to go find the model # cuz you will be asking.
IPC-T2431T-AS 3.6mm and one 2mp Jidetech ptz with 16 or 20x zoom (hik knockoff maybe)
I'm heading over to work to install the new BI PC. HP elitedesk 800 g4 24MB DDR4 8TB purp, 5TB WD ezrz refurb. im hoping i can import the Blueiris.reg and make magic happen, but i'm not sure if I have to have Apples to Apples on BI version #'s.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right click the mouse during playback and make sure you didn't accidentally select the "use substream during playback if available" option.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This might help

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea I stumbled into that page once before....I have a Practice version of BI here at home, with a license. i have bounced it between two Optiplex 2 times. So if push comes to shove I can use the 2nd license if deregistering the 1st doesnt make it past the Guards at the BI Gates. :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@erkme73

for reference I am running a i7-4970 with 16GB memory. I now have a total of 15 cameras. I am using substreams on 5 outside cameras at 15 FPS. The inside cameras are at 8FPS. A total of 700 MP/S. The CPU uses 20% CPU. I have a 120 GB ssd for OS/BI, a 4TB WD Purple internal.

I have not had good experience using a USB for my new folder.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@erkme73

for reference I am running a i7-4970 with 16GB memory. I now have a total of 15 cameras. I am using substreams on 5 outside cameras at 15 FPS. The inside cameras are at 8FPS. A total of 700 MP/S. The CPU uses 20% CPU. I have a 120 GB ssd for OS/BI, a 4TB WD Purple internal.

I have not had good experience using a USB for my new folder.
I wonder if anybody has ever used external SATA Pci-e card to plop an extra drive into/onto a SFF system....i vaguely recall a Dell of some flavor maybe a Precision laptop or two that had a self powered extrnal sata port for a Laptop drive or a ssd drive. Would not power a 3.5 HDD.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody has ever used external SATA Pci-e card to plop an extra drive iinto a SFF system....
Might be better off just building a cheap and cheerful NAS out of an old PC or even something like a Raspberry Pi (Or whatever, something with SATA) and then doing it over SMB, or even iSCSI

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the problem with NAS and USB drives for BI is that they are designed for complete file writes and multiple reads. Those drives and configurations are NOT designed for multiple simultaneous file record writes. With only a few reads. When writing records, the system is also writing, master file table, bitmap table information, journal data for NTFS and other stuff. It does most of these write for each block written.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.