SOLVED! Delays in Receiving Pushover Alerts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ever since I started using Pushover (which has been at least a year), my alerts would sometimes be delayed. I have 16 cameras but there was no pattern as to when or where the delays would occur. They would often be around 10 to 20 minutes or more which was super frustrating.

I think I finally figured out what was causing the problem so I just wanted to share my solution in case anyone else is having the same issue.
I'm still running 5.6.5.9 so not sure if the issue was addressed in a newer version. Anyway, here's my simple solution:

Over time, I added different types of alerts and would disable the ones I wasn't using in case I ever wanted to go back to them. The green one is the Pushover alert.

1703011704626.png

I tried moving the Pushover alert to the top but that didn't make a difference.

1703012155704.png

Finally, I deleted the disabled alerts on all my cameras and that did the trick! It's been over 2 weeks and no delays!

1703011867746.png

So, try deleting your disabled alerts if you're experiencing delays. Hope that helps someone!

Attachments

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I've got dozens of these disabled actions on multiple cameras and have never experienced Pushover action delay issues.

I'm usually running the the latest Blue Iris version.

Would you consider testing if this observation is reproducible?
  1. Add some new actions to the Action Set (maybe the same ones you deleted, in case that matters)
  2. Then disable them.
  3. Are the Pushover actions once again delayed?
If so, report this to Ken.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure, I'll give that a try. I don't remember what exact actions I deleted but I'll try to recreate them.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
For me, it's not a BI thing that causes delays. I think it's the way my phone (Samsung S21) works in power saving mode when it hasn't been used. I've noticed I get alerts pretty much immediately if I'm using my phone or if I had just recently used my phone. However, if my phone has been sitting idle for an hour or more, alerts can be delayed upwards of 10 - 15 seconds. I'm played around with all the Pushover settings that control priority and I've never found a solution. A Google search seems to show it's a common thing for delays as well.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For me, it's not a BI thing that causes delays. I think it's the way my phone (Samsung S21) works in power saving mode when it hasn't been used. I've noticed I get alerts pretty much immediately if I'm using my phone or if I had just recently used my phone. However, if my phone has been sitting idle for an hour or more, alerts can be delayed upwards of 10 - 15 seconds. I'm played around with all the Pushover settings that control priority and I've never found a solution. A Google search seems to show it's a common thing for delays as well.
I have an S21+. Just in case you haven't tried this...
  1. long-press the Blue Iris app icon,
  2. touch the App info icon (circle I)
  3. select 'Battery.
  4. select 'Unrestricted'
This should prevent the app from going to sleep.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an S21+. Just in case you haven't tried this...
  1. long-press the Blue Iris app icon,
  2. touch the App info icon (circle I)
  3. select 'Battery.
  4. select 'Unrestricted'
This should prevent the app from going to sleep.
Wait, why would changing the battery "optimization" settings for the official B.I. App have any effect on the Pushover App alert delay? Did I miss something? We aren't talking about the B.I. App push alerts here...