SOLVED: Dahua Cam: Recording to SD card doesn't work. Why?

Do you use an SD card in your camera? (if your cam has an SD slot)

• I don't use the SD slot in my camera

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
All,

Because of the many benefits, I decided to put an SD card in my HDBW4421E-AS Dome.

Based on my reading here, I bought this SD card, based on the recommendations:
Samsung 64GB 80MB/s EVO Select

I'm not getting recorded video. It's either me
A- doing something wrong, or
B- the SD card holder has a problem, or
C- other?

A) I surf to the cam UI, and click on playback. There isn't anything showing on the timeline, and the filelist is blank. There's nothing to play back. Am I doing something wrong?

B) The micro SD card holder was loose. Specifically, the swinging cover didn't snap tightly into place. The spring force of the contacts would unlatch the cover. With some careful bending of the cover retention notches, the card now stays in place. I'm reasonably certain the card is installed properly, since it has indexes to place the card precisely over the contacts.

C) Other problems?

I'm reluctant to remove the card from the cam, since the bail/cover of the card holder is finicky. Is testing the card in a laptop the next troubleshooting step?

Thanks!
Fastb

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
All,

In researching a solution, I found this tidbit about recording to an SD card, though the post is for a different camera (Huisun mini-PTZ), and the post is from Dec 2015:

"- Recordings cannot be downloaded via webui. This appears to be a bug as a button clearly exists and the file appears to progress in downloading (to the local client machine) to 100%, however no local file is ever produced."

"- The only way to 'pull' recordings off of the camera at this point appears to be to physically remove the SD card and read the SD card using a computer."

So I have formatted the SD card, using the cam's UI. I'm not sure if that was needed or not. Anyway, it formatted successfully. Still no recorded video that can be viewed from the cam's UI, in "Playback" screen.

A puzzle....

Fastb

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You sure you told it to record to "Local"?

On my Bullets its under Storage/Destination - then tick the boxes for Scheduled, Motion Detect, Alarm...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
upload_2017-3-2_18-45-37.png bigredfish,

Thanks for the reply.

My brief A to your Q: "Yes"

See pic.

upload_2017-3-2_18-45-37.png

And "Schedule" is set for 24/7
And "event type" to record is for all types, 24/7

Other hunches?

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
So the problem went away.
I think the formatting of the SD card was my missing piece.
The camera started recording much later.
(After formatting, it didn't start recording for a long time. So I thought I still had a problem)
I can browse to the cam, playback recorded video/audio, and download video clips. Though I haven't found where they were downloaded to, LOL! The cam's web ui reported the download was successful, so the problem is between my seatback and keyboard....

Fastb

My post didn't get a lot of replies. Maybe not a lot of people use an SD card in their camera? So I posted a poll, first time....

Some threads on using the SD card:
Question about IP Cams with micro SD card onboard storage - Is it necessary?
Dahua best microSD cards - suggestions?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On my PC something magically created a folder C/users/username/Webdownload and 5 sub folders. That's where they end up.

I can download two ways, by the timeline or via the list. Also either mp4 or .dav

I found that my version of windows media player can't deal with the MP4 file for some reason? so I download the .dav and convert to MP4 using BigaSoft converter which is pretty cool free tool.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep now I recall seeing that! :rolleyes: damnm I kinda liked the "magic" part, you broke my bubble ;)

I use Smartplayer also, I just find BigaSoft has a ton more features and options..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BigaSoft spams this forum like a bunch of dickheads, Ive reported at least half a dozen so far.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the two Phillips screws (holding the plastic bottom cover--access to micro SD Card slot) with Torx?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Phillips screws are easy to strip, strip one and good luck finding a replacement cover

Security torx would have been a better option IMO

Why in the world does that bother you?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
none of the torx screws on other cameras are security torx.. and its not like the tools are not widely available; if someone comes prepared with tools, get a dog and a gun to take care of em ;)

rarely are PTZ's installed within reach.. high zoom down low means you'll have too many obstacles to overcome to reach any distance.