Solar Powered, outdoor camera with streaming

raniemi

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure how you got an idea of a 60w camera... while I am sure one may exist, I don't think that IP cameras require that much power. Please read my post again.

Note that a pc/raspberry solutions adds more to your power requirements but does provide greater flexibility. First, select and get a camera, play with it and see if you can do with built in options. Expand from there.

I get your buy vs. build issue but if you can't find one that suits your requirements and fits in your budget (monetary or otherwise),... scrap the idea or build.
When I first started looking at cameras 2+ years ago, I thought "wouldn't it be grand to have a PTZ camera and control it remotely?". Then I looked into it some more and found out a few of those cameras were rated at 60W (but they also had a built-in heater that I did not need). Totally not serious in getting one of those and was only using it here as an example of what I wouldn't do. I have since resigned myself to a dome/bullet form factor.

I like your suggestion about building a supporting system around whatever camera I get. I've been scrapping this install for years since it seems like there are new cameras coming out every few months (i.e if I wait a bit more... maybe the wattage will be lower... maybe it will have feature X... maybe... ). I guess I'm suffering from "commitment issues" :)

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...I guess I'm suffering from "commitment issues" :)
This is exactly my problem as well. Even now, after resolving to start the process! Obviously, technology improves so quickly that stuff we buy is outdated by the time it is on the web page.
On the other hand, it doesn't get updated as quickly. Case in point, my last IP Camera experience was at least 10 years ago with an AXIS wifi camera. I waited for 6 months but the project needed to be completed so, just bought the best I could get. At that time, I was waiting for 1MP or something (I forget) camera because of its features. Now, I want the starlight cam with all and more features but in higher resolution.. I am sure it'll come out in 2 or 3 years like the TV I bought when it was a 4K "upgradable"... what I was thinking? But I wanted a 65" TV at that time and that was the best.. so, I bought it for over $2300.00. Now, a 65" that is less than $800 will have more features than my old TV.

So, Yes, commitment issues!

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ability to use a reasonably affordable, reliable starlight cam to identify someone or read a license plate from a useful distance was the main threshold for me. Anything beyond that is gravy, IMO.
COMPROMISE :) as with anything in life... right? On a serious note, what you said makes sense. Anything else is extra. But, the temptation for a potential 4MP starlight is very strong...

raniemi

n3wb
Reaction score
Most all of the Dahua Starlight cams have SD card slots, and video can be obtained from them via the cams web GUI.
They can also be configured to send an email upon alert.
I highly recommend that you purchase something like this: Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
To experiment with and see if it fits your needs. Not much problem in reselling it if it doesn't work out for you.
I noticed that this particular camera is now EOL and the next closest in features is the Nx4BN52. Using Dahua's product selector, it appears that filtering the cameras with any WDR significantly reduces the number of available (current) cameras. Unless there is something wrong with their selector since sometimes I also see EOLed cameras in the search results.

According to the Nx4BN52 datasheet, it consumes less than 4.5W. I've found the user guide, but I have not found the hardware install guide yet -- I wonder if the lens can be physically adjusted up or down (i.e. what to do if I can't mount the camera high enough). Time to find some image samples/product reviews.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed that this particular camera is now EOL and the next closest in features is the Nx4BN52. Using Dahua's product selector, it appears that filtering the cameras with any WDR significantly reduces the number of available (current) cameras. Unless there is something wrong with their selector since sometimes I also see EOLed cameras in the search results.

According to the Nx4BN52 datasheet, it consumes less than 4.5W. I've found the user guide, but I have not found the hardware install guide yet -- I wonder if the lens can be physically adjusted up or down (i.e. what to do if I can't mount the camera high enough). Time to find some image samples/product reviews.
That camera is not EOL, you're looking at the US version of their site, there is less selection in the US than buying the International versions.
Some of the better cameras have to this day, have not been released into the US marketplace...even 2yrs after their release.
Be sure you are looking at the Dahua International site.

Avoid domes and bullets, if possible stick with the turret style. All discussed in the cliff notes.

Don't reinvent the wheel, it's all been discussed numerous times here. Study the Wiki and the cliff notes. Read post's. Search is your friend.

Aaron222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I have a similar need to the OP.

Can someone advise me on how it is possible to live stream multiple cameras onto a private website and app.

The cameras will be at different locations many miles apart, they will have to be LTE, solar/battery back up powered, no Poe. They do not need to be high quality resolution and no audio need. Just basic video quality 24/7 live video stream accessible from my private website and app.

Is this possible and if so how?