Software for NAS playback of HK/DH cameras

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my HikVision and Dahua cameras setup to write to an external NAS. The videos play pretty easily inside their browser but, obviously, the interface... stinks.

Is there another software application that does this easier/seamlessly?

I'm not running BlueIris or any other packages- I'd prefer something that can understand the written out formats on the NAS, but I'm not particular. I just am trying to avoid (for now) putting another PC, power sucking device into operation.

All that said, I may be doing it anyway, so if there's an absolute no-brainer option, tell me.

Thanks in advance-

Jason

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No. Do it right. 35w is hardly power sucking...

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How? NVR? Looking at some of those blue iris specs, an i7 running multiple streams isn't going to pull just 35W. Heck, even the lowest of the low power firewall I've setup is down around 15W- throwing in a couple of spinning disks is another 5 to 8 watts each, and spinning them down causes far more havoc than leaving them idle.

Looking at the bandwidth coming in from all the cameras I'm looking at around a couple of megs/sec- easy for the switches to handle, but it's also on the same backend (I haven't segregated the traffic yet) as the IoT stuff. I definitely want to get all that off, and I'm not terribly sure how I want to spend all that time yet configuring vlan tagging.

That said.. just the NVR hardware sitting in front of the NAS? I can present the NAS as a block level access (simulated hard drive) so the NVR would just see it as a hard drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How? NVR? Looking at some of those blue iris specs, an i7 running multiple streams isn't going to pull just 35W. Heck, even the lowest of the low power firewall I've setup is down around 15W- throwing in a couple of spinning disks is another 5 to 8 watts each, and spinning them down causes far more havoc than leaving them idle.

Looking at the bandwidth coming in from all the cameras I'm looking at around a couple of megs/sec- easy for the switches to handle, but it's also on the same backend (I haven't segregated the traffic yet) as the IoT stuff. I definitely want to get all that off, and I'm not terribly sure how I want to spend all that time yet configuring vlan tagging.

That said.. just the NVR hardware sitting in front of the NAS? I can present the NAS as a block level access (simulated hard drive) so the NVR would just see it as a hard drive.
You are confusing tdp with actual power consumption. You are also assuming you have to use an "i7" which is a meaningless term. Read the wiki. My average blue iris system pulls 35w or less. You have to have the hard drives spining regardless of your recording medium.
Network segregation will be the same regardless of how you intend to record.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are confusing tdp with actual power consumption. You are also assuming you have to use an "i7" which is a meaningless term. Read the wiki. My average blue iris system pulls 35w or less. You have to have the hard drives spining regardless of your recording medium.
Network segregation will be the same regardless of how you intend to record.
I know you are a huge contributor here and considered one of the experts supporting people. I thus value youy advice, but I think I'm not explaining well enough so please give me another moment to try.

Looking at the softwares and hardware requirements for blue Iris, and reading about how people are needing to upgrade to handle the streams, I doubt I could keep the total power consumption down to 35w.

But if you're saying that I just need blue Iris to read the hikvision and dahua outputs on the nas, then I totally can see this working. I'd use my main PC (which is intermittent but mostly always on) to view.

I use killawatts to measure total power consumption on gear; each is marked in duct tape for idle and full load of I can.

The tagging I was more concerned if the kernels of the nvr can handle HA or multi homed. Sounds like from your description it can.

Thank you again for the help and your support or the community.

Jason

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you are a huge contributor here and considered one of the experts supporting people. I thus value youy advice, but I think I'm not explaining well enough so please give me another moment to try.

Looking at the softwares and hardware requirements for blue Iris, and reading about how people are needing to upgrade to handle the streams, I doubt I could keep the total power consumption down to 35w.

But if you're saying that I just need blue Iris to read the hikvision and dahua outputs on the nas, then I totally can see this working. I'd use my main PC (which is intermittent but mostly always on) to view.

I use killawatts to measure total power consumption on gear; each is marked in duct tape for idle and full load of I can.

The tagging I was more concerned if the kernels of the nvr can handle HA or multi homed. Sounds like from your description it can.

Thank you again for the help and your support or the community.

Jason
Again there's no software to do what you want after the fact... You need to use a VMS that what do this for you control the recording.
Dedicate a PC blueiris or any other VMS for that matter. You don't tell us your load so there is no way to know what kind of PC you need. See wiki
Use a VMS, Any VMS...you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roger that. I must have missed your saying there was no software solution.