Socket error 10054

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got 6 cameras running on an HP Elitedesk 800 i7-6700 with 8gb ram. All six cameras run great with direct-to-disk, substream encoding, and max frame rates equal to camera settings, and the CPU usage is around 12 percent, give or take. When I add a seventh or eighth camera, however, I continually get "signal: socket error 10054" on each of the added cameras which, after a while, will cause Blue Iris to stop, requiring me to manually reopen it.

The two cameras I've tried are identical in make, model, firmware, and BI settings to two other cameras of the six that are currently run just fine. The cams I've tried to add are each on different switches, and both switches have cameras attached that working fine with no socket errors. None of the other six cameras get socket errors. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? Seems strange.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
please provide a network diagram. Include the make/model and IP address of all equipment.
Is the video traffic running through the router on the way to BI ?
Are all the camera IP address static ?
Are the static address outside the DHCP range on the router?
Are all the cameras hardwired ?
are the switches gigabyte switches, not 10/100 ?
Looking at the BI PC are you connection at 1000 Mps link speed ?
Can you connect to the problem cameras with a browser and view the cameras feed ?
can you do a long duration ping test to the cameras Successfully with out errors ?

Last edited:

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. Don't have a diagram yet, but here are answers to your other questions:

Is the video traffic running through the router on the way to BI ? Yes
Are all the camera IP address static ? Yes
Are the static address outside the DHCP range on the router? Not sure
Are all the cameras hardwired ? Yes
are the switches gigabyte switches, not 10/100 ? Yes
Looking at the BI PC are you connection at 1000 Mps link speed ? No sure about this
Can you connect to the problem cameras with a browser and view the cameras feed ? Yes, they are Dahua cams and I can change settings in web UI and Configtools with no problems. I have all 15 of my cams separately recording to an Onvif NVR 24/7 without any issues. Again, only 6 six are Blue Iris.
can you do a long duration ping test to the cameras Successfully with out errors ? Haven't done a long duration test, but short duration test to IPs of both cams shows no data loss.

please provide a network diagram. Include the make/model and IP address of all equipment.
Is the video traffic running through the router on the way to BI ?
Are all the camera IP address static ?
Are the static address outside the DHCP range on the router?
Are all the cameras hardwired ?
are the switches gigabyte switches, not 10/100 ?
Looking at the BI PC are you connection at 1000 Mps link speed ?
Can you connect to the problem cameras with a browser and view the cameras feed ?
can you do a long duration ping test to the cameras Successfully with out errors ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
never run the video traffic through the router. The BI PC should be connected to a switch. The switch should be connected to the POE switches. OR the BI PC is connected directly to the POE switch. The router may not be able to process the data flow from the cameras.

Run a ping -n 2000 -l 1024 IP address of the camera do you have any lost packets

What are the models of the cameras causing problems ?
What is the bit rate, frame rate, compression on this cameras.

part of the problem may be the cameras is not able to keep up with the data requests from two sources continuously.
Are you using BI substream processing on these cameras ?

Are the cables home made or premade store purchased ?
Take the cameras down and test with a short premade cable?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
never run the video traffic through the router. The BI PC should be connected to a switch. The switch should be connected to the POE switches. OR the BI PC is connected directly to the POE switch. The router may not be able to process the data flow from the cameras.

Run a ping -n 2000 -l 1024 IP address of the camera do you have any lost packets

What are the models of the cameras causing problems ?
What is the bit rate, frame rate, compression on this cameras.

part of the problem may be the cameras is not able to keep up with the data requests from two sources continuously.
Are you using BI substream processing on these cameras ?

Are the cables home made or premade store purchased ?
Take the cameras down and test with a short premade cable?
Again, appreciate the response. The two cameras that I'm trying to add are an PC-T2831TM-AS-2 (8mp) and an Amcrest IP5M-T1179E (with Dahua flashed firmware). I have another T2831TM running just fine, as well as two other T1179Es. All of my cameras on BI are using substream processing, as were the two problem cameras when I had them added. I've added and re-added them a half dozen times, but still same socket error. I've deleted them for now as the continued socket errors cause BI to close.

I ran the long ping test you suggested for both IPs and both showed zero percent packet loss. The cat5e cables are homemade, but have worked fine with multiple cameras over the past couple of years.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
test the cameras with short premade cables. JUst becaused it work with one camera does not mean it will work with the next. Simplely moving the connector can causes problems.

Are you running three streams from the other cameras, PC-T2831TM-AS-2 (8mp) and an Amcrest IP5M-T1179E camera. You are recording two full streams, one to BI and one To the NVR, also you are running the substream.

Provide a screen shot of the camera settings in the camera, compression, bitrate, frame rate, iframe.....

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
test the cameras with short premade cables. JUst becaused it work with one camera does not mean it will work with the next. Simplely moving the connector can causes problems.

Are you running three streams from the other cameras, PC-T2831TM-AS-2 (8mp) and an Amcrest IP5M-T1179E camera. You are recording two full streams, one to BI and one To the NVR, also you are running the substream.

Provide a screen shot of the camera settings in the camera, compression, bitrate, frame rate, iframe.....
Appreciate your help, SouthernYankee. I'll post the screen shots of the video settings as soon as I can, but they are the factory default settings. In trying out different solutions, what I've noticed is that when I add the additional camera that gets the socket errors, only the substream shows activity; the mainstream counter on the video settings tab is zero. When I click on the camera after adding it with substream processing, it doesn't kick in to the mainstream view. This same behavior occurs for three different Dahua cameras I've tried to add. I'm wondering if I've hit some sort of bandwidth limit in my set up.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED: All of the socket error issues went away went I downgraded Blue Iris back to version 5.3.4.3. I was able to add five more cameras with any issues and without BI stopping.