So I roughly have installed a 5442 6mm birdhouse camera on lamp post 50' from my front door....with tire slashing incursion discussion

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want double sided tape that holds, even in the weather, 3M makes a good one used to attach body side moldings to cars. AutoZone or any auto supply usually has it. Blister pack with a red, strip off, plastic on one side. It REALLY holds well!

Reaction score
Maybe you'll get some good vehicle and/or license plate shots if the female tire slasher/stem twister shows up again ! :mad:
she actually parks somewhere out of the corner and walks all the way down the asphalt to my driveway. Hence, the idea of putting that 6mm (may switch to 12mm varifocal) just to catch that image view.

Reaction score
If you want double sided tape that holds, even in the weather, 3M makes a good one used to attach body side moldings to cars. AutoZone or any auto supply usually has it. Blister pack with a red, strip off, plastic on one side. It REALLY holds well!
3M must use alien technology. Everything they put out does the best of what it does (mostly). When I spliced fiber optic cabling up in South Dakota, we put the splice case in a clear plastic torpedo and had to pour a 3M product inside (2 x 1/2 gallon cans of .... something that you had to mix up like epoxy) and the liquid turned into gel after a short time. I should buy 3M stock.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3M must use alien technology. Everything they put out does the best of what it does (mostly). When I spliced fiber optic cabling up in South Dakota, we put the splice case in a clear plastic torpedo and had to pour a 3M product inside (2 x 1/2 gallon cans of .... something that you had to mix up like epoxy) and the liquid turned into gel after a short time. I should buy 3M stock.
Amen!
Heck, just 10 cents of every dollar Post-It Notes® have made since their intro would suit me!

Used to use Scotch-Cast® on underground airport lighting runs and Scotch-Kote® in early '70's on telemetry before some later improvements in splice sealants.
They even made some optically-programmable traffic signals so specific lanes could not see the signal.
Also Opticom® xenon (later IR LED's) strobes for fire, police and ambulance to preempt traffic signals to give their vehicle their green ASAP when proceeding on an emergency call.
3M has been on cutting edge of several fronts for quite some time.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Holbs you are never going to hide the camera's IR at night, but you may hide it during the day.

You may have already thought of this but when yhen you get around to building your bird box I have a suggestion. The FOV of the 6mm is about 57 degrees so you can mount if back from the hole at the front so it is in shadow and less likely to be seen. Obviously that raises the issue of IR reflection so you don't want any vertical surfaces forward of the lens to reflect anything back. My suggestion is to build a short tunnel.

Sort of like this.

Untitled.png
Untitled(1).png

You could use flashing or something flexible to make a tunnel the exact size of the outside of the face of the turret. Some quick maths tells me that you could have it at least 50mm long (2") from the front of the lens to the face of the birdhouse without cutting out any of your field of view. You could probably go deeper into the bird house than that but I just did rough calculations that absolutely wouldnt cut into your field of view. If you paint the camera, the inside of the tunnel, and the inside of the birdhouse matte black, and paint the outside of the birdhouse gloss white, to most casual observers it will just be a dark hole during the day. It should prevent the sun causing a reflection off the lens as well like the sunshade on a rifle scope. By night it will limit visibility of the IR to those that are already in the field of view.

Reaction score
@Holbs you are never going to hide the camera's IR at night, but you may hide it during the day.

You may have already thought of this but when yhen you get around to building your bird box I have a suggestion. The FOV of the 6mm is about 57 degrees so you can mount if back from the hole at the front so it is in shadow and less likely to be seen. Obviously that raises the issue of IR reflection so you don't want any vertical surfaces forward of the lens to reflect anything back. My suggestion is to build a short tunnel.
You could use flashing or something flexible to make a tunnel the exact size of the outside of the face of the turret. Some quick maths tells me that you could have it at least 50mm long (2") from the front of the lens to the face of the birdhouse without cutting out any of your field of view. You could probably go deeper into the bird house than that but I just did rough calculations that absolutely wouldnt cut into your field of view. If you paint the camera, the inside of the tunnel, and the inside of the birdhouse matte black, and paint the outside of the birdhouse gloss white, to most casual observers it will just be a dark hole during the day. It should prevent the sun causing a reflection off the lens as well like the sunshade on a rifle scope. By night it will limit visibility of the IR to those that are already in the field of view.
That is some serious engineering :) I like the idea of it all!
However... I believe I will leave it running color 24/7 so not IR needed at all. This is what it looks like even at 3am:
5442 6mm night shot.jpg

Reaction score
Make sure you walk and run test that as well. Whilst it looks good, you don't want to discover motion blur has ruined your images after the fact, though Miss stalker should be walking almost straight at it which should help.
ahhh...excellent point. Correct, have not done a walk test. Lots of vehicles but not humans.

Reaction score
going to work on Blue Iris SMS notifications. Or maybe it is email notifications. Even with any false alarms for time being. Was hoping to have some time to fire up my DSC motion sensors, MQTT to home assistant, smartphone notifications. But can not wait no longer.
I think I had notifcations running at one point but too many false alerts so stopped it. Gotta dig into it as I speak

Reaction score
Grrrr!

I will loan you one of my German Shepards. At 110lbs they will cause you to soil your britches.
Did you get anywhere with the VPO?
In a rush... I have fence guys coming to build me a secured area on the side of the house. Would rather much do it myself as was part of master plan, but now in a rush and will pay someone to do it fast.