So I roughly have installed a 5442 6mm birdhouse camera on lamp post 50' from my front door....with tire slashing incursion discussion

Reaction score
In my testing, the 5442 series cams works very well with the latest firmware and AI filtering.
It takes 3 minutes to setup a cam to test the AI.
so far, today...I have 3 of my 5442's and PTZ using in-camera AI and 100% detection during daytime for people & auto's. Will be doing walk tests when sun goes down.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Given your camera viewpoints and light, I am confident it will be rock solid in the evening as well.

Bigger question will be then can BI do the stuff you were relying on Deepstack to do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Deepstack / OnGuard were only sending trigger event URL's to specific cameras upon human triggers. Blue Iris recieved triggered events and did possibly 3 things: send me text image, fire off MQTT, and record in HD...based on Blue Iris scheduling.
I have 2 more 5442's turrets in reserve to use. One is being used as weather camera. This can be repurposed. I do have a 3.6mm I bought from Andy still sitting in a box. This was to be a camera opposite of lamp post pointing back towards the house. Have not yet installed due to recent security events taking up my time.
I also have 2 more 5442 bullets I can repurpose but only 2.8? mm. Wish I bought them all as varifocals back in the day. Or 6mm's. Thought having a wider viewing angle would be a great idea, not taking into consideration of the DORI/motion detect/IVS detection distance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh....looks like you will be gaining some CPU back LOL.

People have changed the lens in cams - maybe give that a try or sell them here and get some varifocals!

Reaction score
Oh....looks like you will be gaining some CPU back LOL.

People have changed the lens in cams - maybe give that a try or sell them here and get some varifocals!
ah! yes! I remember when first coming to this site, there were discussions about upgrading the lens. Forgot all about them. Ok...#47 on my todo list :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a better camera so you can probably get by with 3 IVS rules, but simplicity is better sometimes and just the intrusion might be your better option. Leave the target size and pixel like they are. Including a min size will only delay when it triggers. Min object size should be used only if you are not using AI (like you want to trigger on a dog for example). Or you add a min object size if AI is thinking a dog is a person LOL.

The next question is do you want you system to notify you in the middle of the night with folks walking away from your house? If not, then go with tripwires with the direction only coming towards you, but you cannot do a Z pattern then.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
sidenote: installed my new 5442 Z4E 32mm Varifocal bullet tonight. It's main duty will be to catch the entranceway (it's the only pathway into my dead-end area). Will have OnGuard and Deepstack AI working in conjunction to keep alerts to a minimum unless a human comes a walking.
Things are mostly set at default as I have to reconfigure many things.
View attachment 82356
Looks good but I think I'd try and adjust the white balance for night. Looks as if you have sodium street lighting and it's giving the picture a very yellow cast.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Not yellow cast on my monitor. ;) Looks fine.

I pulled it into a photo editor to show the difference with a slightly different colour balance. I leave you to be the judge but in my opinion it was deficient in both red and blue with consequentially a yellow balance. In reality caused by the yellow sodium street lamp - original top, adjusted bottom:

Adjusted.jpg

Needless to say,my comment assumes you can set a different balance for Day / Night as in the day,it will be wrong again in daylight.

Reaction score
I pulled it into a photo editor to show the difference with a slightly different colour balance. I leave you to be the judge but in my opinion it was deficient in both red and blue with consequentially a yellow balance. In reality caused by the yellow sodium street lamp - original top, adjusted bottom:

View attachment 82727

Needless to say,my comment assumes you can set a different balance for Day / Night as in the day,it will be wrong again in daylight.
I wish I had your eyes :)
This 5442's job is simply to detect motion 150' distant at this single and only entranceway into my dead end lot of 4 houses, to give me a response time of a human walking towards my house at night and during daytime. This view does not require color of clothing or anything. I have cameras near the house for all that. Hence, so far....B&W has caught everything at night, and auto switches to color during the daylight.
The above picture of too much yellow is the factory default image settings for the camera. If I were to keep in for full color at night, I would of tinkered with the image settings as I did with my other 5442 at end of driveway/lamp post.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera is probably white balanced at night by default for incandescent or maybe even daylight given the prevalence of daylight / white LED's in China now, whereas sodium is more more yellow / orange. Hence the tint.

Last edited:
Reaction score
* update 2/19/21 *
Crazy slashing lady is booked and served. Warrant was sent out for Destruction of Property and Stalking (2 counts..me and my neighbor) through the week. 2 Temporary Protection Orders also served. Police nabbed her. For the first time since middle of December, I will not have to wake up 3-5 times a night for outdoor PIR alerts or odd ball folks walking around at night that trigger my cameras. It's Miller Time!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
* update 2/19/21 *
Crazy slashing lady is booked and served. Warrant was sent out for Destruction of Property and Stalking (2 counts..me and my neighbor) through the week. 2 Temporary Protection Orders also served. Police nabbed her. For the first time since middle of December, I will not have to wake up 3-5 times a night for outdoor PIR alerts or odd ball folks walking around at night that trigger my cameras. It's Miller Time!
Did she not make bail? I can't imagine someone being detained for destruction of property. If she's a bit crazy I wouldn't put it past her to simply ignore the protection orders. I hope I'm wrong but...

Reaction score
Did she not make bail? I can't imagine someone being detained for destruction of property. If she's a bit crazy I wouldn't put it past her to simply ignore the protection orders. I hope I'm wrong but...
over $2500 in destruction of property. I believe there is a $$$ limit between misdemeanour and whatever level is next. Add to that....2 TPO's. Add to that, neighbor's brother is Reno PD police officer.