So do you think he shot her?

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I rented a house once that backed to an alley like that. I always made sure that gate was locked and alarmed.
Our trash trucks operate in alleys almost everywhere in Lubbock, TX. I have three locks on the rear gate . . . one high up, one where the opener is, and one down low.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Should I get a revolved? I've only ever owned striker fired plastic guns

Seems like they might have the good juju even if they are less useful
You don't have to worry about shell casings left for evidence when using a revolver. Or the pistol jamming. Or accidental shooting for the most part. :oops:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting the girl goes in first. I'd never let my wife go into a potentially dangerous situation, nor would she want to go.

I happened to wake up around 4am (unfortunately common), and heard someone walking on the porch at 4:30. Got up, and thought maybe I have to take down a prowler. Then realized I had ordered "overnight" Amazon delivery for some parts I needed, and it was just an Amazon driver. Didn't know it was literally night delivery.

Anyhow, it takes quite a lot to get my adrenaline going. That didn't meet the threshold, even with the first thought that I'd have to confront some dirtbag.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Should I get a revolved? I've only ever owned striker fired plastic guns

Seems like they might have the good juju even if they are less useful
Only reason I see to get a revolver would be if you wanted .357 magnum, although even then there is 1 automatic designed to fire it (someone's college project put into production I believe).

Beyond that, the issue becomes one of shot number. Revolver 6 - semi auto around 15 depending on the calibre, mag and gun, plus slower reloading on the revolver even with a speed loader. That's primarily why semi-autos have taken over. You can also probably add onto that, less to snag onto clothing. You might wonder why you might want more than 6 shots - experience has shown that often shooters miss under the stress of a fire fight plus many handgun bullets are notorious for poor stopping power unless something vital is hit.

A good example of this is this Police firefight - not how many times this guy is shot and yet he survived. Slightly long video but worth the watch. Demonstrates how handguns can struggle to stop someone though as this guy is riddled. This does have video so be patient over the audio at the front. If you want to skip the recap tempter at the front which misses out a lot anyway but does have good audio, video starts properly at 4 mins 30 sec approx.:

There are also good alternatives to .357 mag such as 10mm if you want auto.

Last edited:

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only reason I see to get a revolver would be if you wanted .357 magnum, although even then there is 1 automatic designed to fire it (someone's college project put into production I believe).

Beyond that, the issue becomes one of shot number. Revolver 6 - semi auto around 15 depending on the calibre, mag and gun, plus slower reloading on the revolver even with a speed loader. That's primarily why semi-autos have taken over. You can also probably add onto that, less to snag onto clothing. You might wonder why you might want more than 6 shots - experience has shown that often shooters miss under the stress of a fire fight plus many handgun bullets are notorious for poor stopping power unless something vital is hit.

A good example of this is this Police firefight - not how many times this guy is shot and yet he survived. Slightly long video but worth the watch. Demonstrates how handguns can struggle to stop someone though as this guy is riddled. This does have video so be patient over the audio at the front. If you want to skip the recap tempter at the front which misses out a lot anyway but does have good audio, video starts properly at 4 mins 30 sec approx.:

You seem to have good knowledge of guns……was talking to my neighbor and she doesn’t have the hand strength to pull the slide back on a Glock 43 I think it is (.380). Of course a revolver is an option but prefer a semi auto. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You seem to have good knowledge of guns……was talking to my neighbor and she doesn’t have the hand strength to pull the slide back on a Glock 43 I think it is (.380). Of course a revolver is an option but prefer a semi auto. Any suggestions?

Wife has small hands but can rack her Remington RM380.
Got a Ruger LCP .380 for a friend last Christmas to give to his wife; she has small hands, too and has no problem with it.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

I have no experience with it, but the M&P Shield EZ is "a purpose-built semi-auto pistol, that's easy to operate by most anyone. When designing the Shield EZ, Smith & Wesson focused on making the slide easy to rack and the magazine easy to load; as well as making the pistol simple and safe to use."

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I know a bit about guns but have no direct experience of handguns - they're banned over here. Others can probably talk better about practicalities such as slide racking forces on handguns.

A good alternative to a handgun if for "in the home defence" is a shotgun. Most would recommend a pump for reliability but if your wife struggles with racking it, a semi-auto might be worth the slightly decreased reliability risk as most semi-autos hold open when empty and the slide release is via a button requiring little effort. TBH I don't know of many semi-auto jams and I have been around shotguns a lot. I think it's usually down to either extreme wear or lack of cleaning. Obviously a home defence gun will probbaly go unused apart from a few trips to the range.

Buck shot will stop most people although shotguns do have some kick. Semi-autos have good capacity mags depending on the model and I doubt anyone will hand around more than a couple of shots anyway. Worst case scenario, most semi-auto shotguns load through a plate in the bottom of the action which you push a shell through. Not necessarily easy but shouldn't be impossible unless she's very weak. Also going to depend on how great the danger is and who else is in the house as it might be worth keeping it loaded if there are no children (depending on your laws) but uncocked. An alternative is a safe or trigger lock. I knwo the latter won't go down with some well as it relies on you having the notice of the break in and the time to get the gun. I would suggest if home invasions are an issue in your area, fit good doors and locks and that some time to get through, CCTV and an alarm. All of the foregoing my deter and at the very worst, slow down and alert you.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I know a bit about guns but have no direct experience of handguns - they're banned over here. Others can probably talk better about practicalities such as slide racking forces on handguns.

A good alternative to a handgun if for "in the home defence" is a shotgun. Most would recommend a pump for reliability but if your wife struggles with racking it, a semi-auto might be worth the risk as most semi-autos hold open when empty and the slide release is via a button requiring little effort. Buck shot will stop most people although shotguns do have some kick. Semi-autos have good capacity mags depending on the model and I doubt anyone will hand around more than a couple of shots anyway. Worst case scenario, most semi-auto shotguns load through a plate in the bottom of the action which you push a shell through. Not necessarily easy but shouldn't be impossible unless she's very weak. Also going to depend on how great the danger is and who else is in the house as it might be worth keeping it loaded if there are no children (depending on your laws) but uncocked. An alternative is a safe or trigger lock. I knwo the latter won't go down with some well as it relies on you having the notice of the break in and the time to get the gun. I would suggest if home invasions are an issue in your area, fit good doors and locks and that some time to get through, CCTV and an alarm. All of the foregoing my deter and at the very worst, slow down and alert you.
If she lacks hand strength to rack the slide on a handgun, then I would definitely not recommend the recoil of a shotgun. The next option, beyond a handgun, would be a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine. Most have light recoil, but this is obviously for home duty and not for carry. There are also more pistol caliber carbines now, which could be an option. Some of these have pistol variants which do not have a typical slide, which could also be an option.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If she lacks hand strength to rack the slide on a handgun, then I would definitely not recommend the recoil of a shotgun. The next option, beyond a handgun, would be a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine. Most have light recoil, but this is obviously for home duty and not for carry. There are also more pistol caliber carbines now, which could be an option. Some of these have pistol variants which do not have a typical slide, which could also be an option.
The problem with a rifle is over pentration. Many US homes have wooden walls and a rifle bullet could more easily exit the home and kill a passerby or neighbour with all the issues that entails. Even a .22 RF is going to punch through stud walls or wood and RF isn't going to stop a person unless the shot is lucky or precise.

One option might be to go to a gun club or shop with attached range and tryout a variety of guns.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with a rifle is over pentration. Many US homes have wooden walls and a rifle bullet could more easily exit the home and kill a passerby or neighbour with all the issues that entails. Even a .22 RF is going to punch through stud walls or wood and RF isn't going to stop a person unless the shot is lucky or precise.

One option might be to go to a gun club or shop with attached range and tryout a variety of guns.
Which is why I also recommended a pistol caliber carbine, or even the pistol version of one of these to make it shorter.

Ultimately, we don't know any more details than she needs help racking the slide on a handgun. I doubt she would be able to properly use a shotgun or rifle to clear a house effectively or where she lives and the construction of the home.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on that one frame, I'm not really sure he's got a gun. I'd like to see a few frames before. I zoomed in and, to me, it looks like the gun might actually be a spot on the ground that's lit up that could be seen through the trees and his hand just happens to be in the right spot in that one frame so it looks like he's awkwardly holding a revolver with the chamber open.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Not to get off topic here but what's happening in this video is the type of stuff that pisses me off. The perp should've been dead already and they fuckin around tell him to stop and get out. This is what happens with shitty DA's, Mayors and all that goes with it. And they're still yelling for less lethal at the end.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone who purchases' a gun, needs to seek out competent training with said gun. A lot of instructors will be willing to assist you in picking the right gun for you.
You need to try out each gun you are interested in, to find the one that works for you.
The new LCP MAX has a much easier slide to rack.

If the gun is properly staged, there is no need for most to mess with racking the slide. A gun should be ready to use the moment you pick it up.
You shouldn't need to rack one in the chamber.
See the video recently posted here, that the home invasion was all over in less than 10 secs.
On average, home invasions are over in less than a minute.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to rack one in the chamber.
This drives me crazy...on some of the cop shows, they see a perp, they rack the slide. Then, having not left the viewers sight for a second, five minutes later, they get ready to go in through the door, they rack it again.....but the un-fired round that was in the chamber magically stays put. They rack it again ...and again... STOP IT! :p

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on that one frame, I'm not really sure he's got a gun. I'd like to see a few frames before. I zoomed in and, to me, it looks like the gun might actually be a spot on the ground that's lit up that could be seen through the trees and his hand just happens to be in the right spot in that one frame so it looks like he's awkwardly holding a revolver with the chamber open.
O.K., CaptainCrunch, here are five additional pictures along with the topic starter picture.

First picture is him coming out into the alley with his right hand concealed:
Picture 1 -- 09-10-23.jpg

In the second picture, the two are looking east:
Picture 2 -- 09-10-23.jpg

He is starting to remove the pistol in the third picture:
Picture 3 -- 09-10-23.jpg

Pistol being raised:
Picture 4 -- 09-10-23.jpg

Pistol being raised higher:
Picture 5 -- 09-10-23.jpg

Topic starter picture:
Picture 6 -- 09-10-23.jpg

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I just watched that video earlier today, and that's exactly what made me think of how inadequate a revolver is. Probably 50 rounds sent towards the suspect, and he lived.

I'm oddly drawn to these videos even though I am sickened watching the demise of foolish people. A surprising number of these videos show multiple mag dumps with the person surviving. Others show the first officer knocking on the door getting killed by the first bullet. These folks walk into chaos every day, and we don't appreciate them.

All that said, my sister carries a .357 revolver. She has the right personality to carry; will deescalate, but will also shoot the bad guy dead if necessary. Holy cow though, try not to be an innocent bystander. You should see how she drives.