SMD records all night long / no IVS image preview

advans

n3wb
Reaction score
SMD records all night long. One clip after another. It didn't do this before. Starts to be marked as an event shortly after scheduled B/W night mode kicks in. The only way to stop the SMD from continuous recording is to reboot, but the next night it starts all over.

I would rather not use SMD, but I currently have IVS tripwire set up to record human events only and SMD is used for vehicles. If I set up IVS for vehicles as well as people, then I cannot filter during playback if I only want to look for one or the other.

Untitled.jpg

Also, when doing an IVS event smart search on the NVR, there are just "x" marks instead of pictures on each captured preview.

capture-20210902-225642.jpg

Any input would be much appreciated.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
Could be related or the same issue I have on one of my cams on occasion. SMD event/motion triggers recording continuously (sometimes for hours) even though motion has long stopped. It usually takes another SMD event for cam to stop recording. I don't use NVR though.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IVS trip wires will work best. Turn off SMD and Motion detection.
Do all settings change's directly in the cameras web interface, not with SmartPSS or an NVR.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've seen this before. It may be down to a video codec or image setting issue. Might be worthwhile to change video or image settings to narrow down the problems.

advans

n3wb
Reaction score
IVS trip wires will work best. Turn off SMD and Motion detection.
Do all settings change's directly in the cameras web interface, not with SmartPSS or an NVR.
When I turn off SMD, capture both cars/people with IVS and while using Smartpss for playback, I do not have an option to filter out either or. If I can filter out cars from people during IVS playback with SmartPSS, please advise.

All settings have been changed through the cams interface.

advans

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen this before. It may be down to a video codec or image setting issue. Might be worthwhile to change video or image settings to narrow down the problems.
Any tips to what specific image/ video setting to start with?

Currently working with Andy @ empiretech. I believe this is related to something in the NVR mainly because the two cams I have, get the identical beginning and end time stamped SMD clips.

He had me upgrade the firmware on the NVR which helped cut down the continuous SMD clips down to lasting about 30 mins, vs throughout the entire night. Daytime SMD recordings have never been an issue.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any tips to what specific image/ video setting to start with?

Currently working with Andy @ empiretech. I believe this is related to something in the NVR mainly because the two cams I have, get the identical beginning and end time stamped SMD clips.

He had me upgrade the firmware on the NVR which helped cut down the continuous SMD clips down to lasting about 30 mins, vs throughout the entire night. Daytime SMD recordings have never been an issue.
Most likely bugs flying in front of the camera or even spiders walking on the front of the camera are triggering SMD.

Try using the nvrs web interface instead of smart PSS, it gives you more options for searching for intelligent events. See The Dahua wiki for instructions on how to do so.

advans

n3wb
Reaction score
Most likely bugs flying in front of the camera or even spiders walking on the front of the camera are triggering SMD.

Try using the nvrs web interface instead of smart PSS, it gives you more options for searching for intelligent events. See The Dahua wiki for instructions on how to do so.
I ended up deselecting areas that were basically everything but the street (for catching cars on SMD only), dialed down sensitivity and increased threshold settings. Doing this has seemed to do the trick. Thank you for the tips.