SmartPSS recording both streams

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This probably isn't possible with SmartPSS, but I wonder...

I'm currently recording the main (high-res) stream of my Dahua cam 24/7 with SmartPSS. I want to keep recording this high-res stream so I can have the best picture in case of an emergency.
I'd also like to record the second (lower-res) stream of my Dahua cam so I can remotely playback these recordings through a cellular network with the Android app (since the high-res recording is too much data to playback through a cellular network).

Has anyone ever tried this before with SmartPSS?
Or maybe with Blue Iris?
I believe I finally found a requirement that might justify a shift to Blue Iris.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Or maybe with Blue Iris?
I believe I finally found a requirement that might justify a shift to Blue Iris.
Not sure about pss, however, with blue iris you can record the main stream then stream at what whatever bitrate you choose..in fact, you can pre-select 3 different profiles and choose the bitrate you need depending on the quality of your connection...
You can also record the substream but this is not needed given the capability to adjust the bitrate for remote viewing. .

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but there is a option to record a sub stream in smart pss. In the settings General-> click on your camera name then encode. It gives you the option for a sub stream or extra stream.
.pss1.JPG

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure about pss, however, with blue iris you can record the main stream then stream at what whatever bitrate you choose..in fact, you can pre-select 3 different profiles and choose the bitrate you need depending on the quality of your connection...
You can also record the substream but this is not needed given the capability to adjust the bitrate for remote viewing. .
Thanks for the reply fenderman.
That's quite a powerfull feature! Can you select the profile in the blue iris android app (the official android app is probably necessary for this feature, or can tinycam also playback history recordings with the profile)? I assume the reencoding will be done serverside (to save bandwith).

c hris527: you can indeed record the substream with PSS, but i cannot see how you can simultaneously record both streams (or select the bitrate for remote viewing through DMSS)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you set the bitrate's on the camera.. why do you want to record both simultaneously with the same application?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply fenderman.
That's quite a powerfull feature! Can you select the profile in the blue iris android app (the official android app is probably necessary for this feature, or can tinycam also playback history recordings with the profile)? I assume the reencoding will be done serverside (to save bandwith).
You will need the official app - its fantastic...tinycam cannot playback recordings...yes its done by the server - otherwise there would be no use for it...