Smarthome Camera - do they need internet?

Hacksaw

n3wb
Reaction score
I really dont like seeing amcrest going to the cheap way of camera firmware, which makes me think the camera are not longer relabed dahua, would that be a correct assumption? so can I use/setup a smarthome camera without internet access? support wasnt any help.

I am looking for an outdoor wifi camera which they doesn't seem to have anymore. ??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Imagine support not being any help LOL.

Amcrest is still rebranded Dahua...but keep in mind they can ask Dahua to make it however they want, and since the general public likes easy scan a QR code, that is what we will see companies move to that cater to consumers.

Keep in mind you should only use wifi cam if it is for noncritical use like watching wildlife or birds.

Specify the camera model you are looking at and we will see if anyone got it hooked up without internet.

I recently got the IP2M-841 and was able to set it up without using their App or giving it internet access (actually set it up on computer that doesn't have internet access, so I know it can be done), despite the app and online stuff saying you needed to initially give it internet access.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Avoid any cam with the the word "smart" in it.
FWIW, I've installed a total of 8 of the Amcrest P2M-841's at 2 locations with Blue Iris and a dedicated wireless access point for them and they have performed very well for over 3 years.
Amcrest or Dahua might have some outdoor wireless cams that are NOT "smart", I dunno....I haven't looked, not interested.

BTW, how do you plan to power this "outdoor wifi camera" ?

Hacksaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Imagine support not being any help LOL.

Amcrest is still rebranded Dahua...but keep in mind they can ask Dahua to make it however they want, and since the general public likes easy scan a QR code, that is what we will see companies move to that cater to consumers.

Keep in mind you should only use wifi cam if it is for noncritical use like watching wildlife or birds.

Specify the camera model you are looking at and we will see if anyone got it hooked up without internet.

I recently got the IP2M-841 and was able to set it up without using their App or giving it internet access (actually set it up on computer that doesn't have internet access, so I know it can be done), despite the app and online stuff saying you needed to initially give it internet access.
Thanks for the great info.. I am looking for an Outdoor wifi ip cam.. i have that cam cam! I have in my shed behind glass looking out and IR off. I'd like to get a actual outdoor wifi cam as the window is wet or fogged up. lol. but te IP2M-841b proved it will work. I just need to move to a real outside cam.

Hacksaw

n3wb
Reaction score
+1^^.
Avoid any cam with the the word "smart" in it.
FWIW, I've installed a total of 8 of the Amcrest P2M-841's at 2 locations with Blue Iris and a dedicated wireless access point for them and they have performed very well for over 3 years.
Amcrest or Dahua might have some outdoor wireless cams that are NOT "smart", I dunno....I haven't looked, not interested.

BTW, how do you plan to power this "outdoor wifi camera" ?
I feel the same way! smart usually mean not so smart haha. I asked Amccrest about the outside with wifi and old style setup interface and it was a cam that looked like a flying saucer. I have the IP2M-841 out in the shed now lookoing out a window LOL, and I'm impressed with the wifi range. yes it drops out sometimes but90% its up. I can live with that. :)

I have power in the shed.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a dedicated wireless link and any decent IP camera can be made a wireless camera. I use a Ubiquity Nano M5 to link my shed to the network. It's not WiFi, it's a dedicated encrypted link just for the cameras and has enough bandwidth to support six or eight cameras easily.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hacksaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Get a dedicated wireless link and any decent IP camera can be made a wireless camera. I use a Ubiquity Nano M5 to link my shed to the network. It's not WiFi, it's a dedicated encrypted link just for the cameras and has enough bandwidth to support six or eight cameras easily.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

Oh man, Thats pretty awesome.. thanks! I'll keep that link as I may go with that..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.