Smart locks - more invasion of privacy?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I think most of us on the forum are in our own home since this is all about cameras and security on the forum. I'm thankful for that. I've thought about getting an electronic lock that uses a keypad but haven't really researched it, never even thought about a "smart lock", I may just continue to use my "dumb lock" with a key. Renters in apartments may have more problems with their privacy thanks to technology.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I can certainly appreciate the concerns and agree that they shouldn't be installed on long-term rentals.

Recently, I've opened an Airbnb and will be using similar technology to this. In one of the big Airbnb host groups on FB, this is very common due to many hosts being remote. I live on the same property that I rent out but I need to monitor the comings and goings of my guests due to various legal reasons in the country where I live. I can see where landlords of long-term rentals have similar concerns.

The videodoor bell has an IR fob reader which records who opens the front gate and when. As well, I will be installing a BoobieCam which will be used solely to capture the faces of everyone who enters and leaves the property.

But my system is not, and will never be, hooked up directly to the internet.

It's a fine line. Due to long-term tenants violating lease terms (parties, adding tenants not on the lease which may be illegal in certain jurisdictions, etc) there are valid concerns which would warrant the installation of said technology.

But it's the potential to share the information gathered that's concerning and should be highly regulated for long-term tenants.

Personally, I can justify it by saying that I live on the premises. Further, I must have control over who enters the property for legal reasons. Primarily, my jurisdiction, Cuba, requires that a record must be kept of all visitors to a rental property; and those same properties are regulated by law. This is due to problems with prostitution complicated by issues of underaged prostitution. One can appreciate the concern of the authorities when looked at in this manner.

So it's a matter of creeping technology. But even if I was still a long-term landlord (I was when I lived in Canada), I wouldn't install such a unit that was hooked up to the internet. There's just too much at risk to do so.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be concerned about kids hacking the app, finding the back door and randomly unlocking everyones door whenever they feel mischievous.
It's way easier to bump or pick 99 percent of locks on the market. Yale makes a version of it's smart lock that has no keyhole. It's bump proof as a result. They have a zwave compatible model so you can run everything locally.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would be concerned about kids hacking the app, finding the back door and randomly unlocking everyones door whenever they feel mischievous.
75 Percent of Bluetooth Smart Locks Can Be Hacked
By Paul Wagenseil last updated June 14, 2021
Twelve out of 16 Bluetooth smart locks examined could be unlocked by a remote attacker, a researcher said at the DEF CON hacker conference.

LAS VEGAS — Many Bluetooth Low Energy smart locks can be hacked and opened by unauthorized users, but their manufacturers seem to want to do nothing about it, a security researcher said yesterday (Aug. 6) at the DEF CON hacker conference here.

1681612130306.png

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Y'all are dumb! Just pick up a brick and pick the window. With the quality of most "security systems" (used loosely),
one will be identified as Casper the Friendly Thief.
BTW
Some humor there, somewhere. ;)