Smart Camera with Hand Gestures?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard that there's an outdoors smart security camera which can recognize preset hand gestures, and has a speaker to automatically announce to uninvited guests that they are being watched. Any leads on what this camera might be?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera I had heard about briefly was actually a monitored service "Deep Sentinel", where a live agent speaks through the camera's speaker to inform an intruder that they are on private property. I had thought it was for a standalone product.

Here's a link: Best Home Security System Company & Security Cameras | Deep Sentinel
Hi @DLONG2

I suspect few of us want to go this route ..

ref:

1642230406834.png

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently their service allows for hidden hand gestures to alerts the security staff that a person approaching has permission to approach.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why would you pay for this service when you can buy an active deterrence camera and be done with it?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Why would you pay for this service when you can buy an active deterrence camera and be done with it?
Exactly. I'd like to see a standalone camera with the AI to accomplish this sort of deterrence. When recently shopping for a new security system, a merchant on YouTube offered his opinion that perimeter security systems which monitor doors and windows are useless, as criminals know they can get in and out before the police even leave their driveway; he recommended camera systems which deter thieves before they even reach the home. I'd be interested in hearing any recommended AI cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The active deterrence cameras from Dahua can serve that purpose. I have 3 of them. They have a flashing light (fairly useless unless they look at it) and an audible sound - can be a saying, an alarm, etc.

I wouldn't say it will necessarily stop a criminal, but it may stop some. We have seen too many people post video here and Nextdoor where perps do not even flinch when a floodlight turns on. But it is worth a shot and may scare away some.

Mine gives them a warning message and my system alerts me, so I can take action before they have a chance to breach my house and send off the security alarm.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exactly. I'd like to see a standalone camera with the AI to accomplish this sort of deterrence. When recently shopping for a new security system, a merchant on YouTube offered his opinion that perimeter security systems which monitor doors and windows are useless, as criminals know they can get in and out before the police even leave their driveway; he recommended camera systems which deter thieves before they even reach the home. I'd be interested in hearing any recommended AI cameras.
Active deterrence cameras have built-in lights and sirens that can be automatically triggered by ivs rules/AI

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
@DLONG2 There is not NOTHING a security camera can do to stop a group of thieves, not even an instant radio
broadcast LIVE on a police channel!

I worked in a computer store in Fountain Valley CA. Those guys would break in, clean us out, load a stolen U-Haul truck
and be gone in less than 90 seconds! The door mat was rigged with a microphone to detect loud noise with
a radio transmitter also activated by a pressure switch that broadcast an alert on a police channel.

As I was a ham radio operator, I had a radio set to that frequency (to listen only) to alert me as I was the closes one to shut off alarms
and all the little sundry item involved. I did not have time to get my trousers on before the PD called to inform me of the break-in.

Blinky light and a siren will detour most non-pros and crack whores even as one members video, it was a a tracking PTZ as the sole
intimidator!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont even need an active deterrence camera. If you are using a vms like BI you can trigger audio alerts through your camera speakers or a pair of loud amplified speakers if you choose.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^Yeah, forgot about that - I have BI doing that as well! You can send out better customized messages that way than trying to get them loaded into the camera!

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The active deterrence cameras from Dahua can serve that purpose. I have 3 of them. They have a flashing light (fairly useless unless they look at it) and an audible sound - can be a saying, an alarm, etc.

I wouldn't say it will necessarily stop a criminal, but it may stop some. We have seen too many people post video here and Nextdoor where perps do not even flinch when a floodlight turns on. But it is worth a shot and may scare away some.

Mine gives them a warning message and my system alerts me, so I can take action before they have a chance to breach my house and send off the security alarm.
I have my cameras to set off sirens and turn on interior lights.