Slow DB access message.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never noticed this until recent. On the DB status window I get a message of "Slow DB access"

How is this being tested and what's the best way to improve it? my DB is on an SSD already but my files are scattered across HDD and a NAS for long term storage.

1679848859431.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a new feature and a thread about it. You must be doing auto updates. It is so new we don't know much about it other than whatever was added to the help file and then people playing with.

5.7.2 - March 22, 2023
This update is all about identifying and resolving storage errors and pitfalls. In addition to
overallocation, additional storage issues are now identified and reported.

If a drive is offline, over allocated, or another issue is present, this information is
prominently displayed at the bottom of the clips list in a new DB status window. You may
display this window manually with a right-click menu option. However, the window may
not be dismissed until any issues are resolved.

The software tracks the aggregate MB/s being recorded to each drive. When files are
MOVED from one drive to another, this rate is also calculated. When doing continuous
recording and archiving files to a NAS, you will want to make sure the recording rate does
not exceed the rate at which may be moved.

I suspect the NAS for long term storage is the bottleneck?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a new feature and a thread about it. You must be doing auto updates. It is so new we don't know much about it other than whatever was added to the help file and then people playing with.

5.7.2 - March 22, 2023
This update is all about identifying and resolving storage errors and pitfalls. In addition to
overallocation, additional storage issues are now identified and reported.

If a drive is offline, over allocated, or another issue is present, this information is
prominently displayed at the bottom of the clips list in a new DB status window. You may
display this window manually with a right-click menu option. However, the window may
not be dismissed until any issues are resolved.

The software tracks the aggregate MB/s being recorded to each drive. When files are
MOVED from one drive to another, this rate is also calculated. When doing continuous
recording and archiving files to a NAS, you will want to make sure the recording rate does
not exceed the rate at which may be moved.

I suspect the NAS for long term storage is the bottleneck?

I did take the latest update but it's not on auto. I think this is a great feature. I guess I'll ignore it as long as I don't have a problem. Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I think it is a step forward in troubleshooting, similar to the yellow triangles folks get if KEY drops below 0.40 and a few other issues. As long as it works for you, wait for the feature to mature.