Slip 'n Spin

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This person spent an hour trying to get back out on the highway. I bet they were regretting their decision to pull over :)

Over the years living here I have been in the same situation many times, until I bought a more appropriate winter vehicle. My method to get out on the highway was to get a running start from my driveway, and hope that no cars were coming when I got to the highway. If there was traffic then I backed up and tried again. If not, then I hoped for enough momentum to carry me through. If you have to stop at the highway then you are not getting out in a small vehicle.

Watching the video I see that my old habit persists since I didn't stop at the highway even though my Subaru could easily handle the conditions.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I lived in Ohio I put burlap bags filled with 200 pounds of sand in the bed of my truck to get better traction since it didn't have 4-wheel drive. I drove to my sisters house making turns by memory because both the roads and sidewalks were buried in snow and couldn't be seen.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I lived in Ohio I put burlap bags filled with 200 pounds of sand in the bed of my truck to get better traction since it didn't have 4-wheel drive. I drove to my sisters house making turns by memory because both the roads and sidewalks were buried in snow and couldn't be seen.
It doesn't snow much down here but if you tow stuff, like a 7,000 lb. travel trailer or even a good-sized boat, having 4WD is invaluable...so many boat ramps are slick with algae and mud and equalizer hitches for bigger loads transfer much weight to the front...an encounter with morning dew on a grassy, sloped area of a campground can stop you and that 28 ft. travel trailer dead unless you can also drive the front wheels with 4WD, I've found. :cool:

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Snow is one thing, Ice is another. If that snowfall melted and then refroze making an ice sheet, even Suburu's are gonna have a hard time.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Every year when these topics come up i see so many folks suggest that if only they had four-wheel drive, yada yada yada.
I make it a point to mention that ALL of the cars they see off in the median or at the bottom of the hill.....those cars had "all wheel brakes" yet look where they are.

I'm a big proponent of four- or at least some version of All- wheel drive, but too many people think having the feature makes them immune to physics...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Every year when these topics come up i see so many folks suggest that if only they had four-wheel drive, yada yada yada.
I make it a point to mention that ALL of the cars they see off in the median or at the bottom of the hill.....those cars had "all wheel brakes" yet look where they are.

I'm a big proponent of four- or at least some version of All- wheel drive, but too many people think having the feature makes them immune to physics...
So true, the get going part is easy... the stopping part is what people forget about

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yep, it doesn't matter how many wheels you have on the ground and that all are driven....if ya got no grip, ya got no go....OR stop! :headbang:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't bring a sports car to a snowstorm maybe?

Couple or 3 bags of sand in the trunk would have helped.
Oh, yeah...I don't know about your Ford Ranger but the one I had was a 4.0 liter V6 with factory towing so it was geared low and was 2 WD. Even with a 250 lb. fiberglass shell on it if the road was even the tiniest bit wet and you went around a corner or tried to accelerate hard from a stop you were going NOWHERE...it'd break loose in a heart beat and you'd find yourself doing either a 360 or standing still.

SIR VEYOR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4WD is nice, but without a way to make both sides turn together, you’re still likely to be in trouble. You have just 2 2WD systems working, kinda together, kinda not.

without a limited slip or locking hubs, you can be stuck on wet grass with 4WD.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...I don't know about your Ford Ranger but the one I had was a 4.0 liter V6 with factory towing so it was geared low and was 2 WD. Even with a 250 lb. fiberglass shell on it if the road was even the tiniest bit wet and you went around a corner or tried to accelerate hard from a stop you were going NOWHERE...it'd break loose in a heart beat and you'd find yourself doing either a 360 or standing still.
I could fill the bed with snow, and go about anywhere with out problems. ;)