Siren sound on start-up and closing BI5

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this just started when I updated to latest version. Where can I find which sound to pick when Blue iris software starts and is closed. Right now its an annoying Siren.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Settings/Schedule/

On schedule change...
and/or
On red shield...
and/or
On green shield...

+/Sound/Choose a sound (.wav) file (default is alarm.wav)

I have no idea how yours got turned on without you doing it. If you don't want any sound, then untick Enabled

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Settings/Schedule/

On schedule change...
and/or
On red shield...
and/or
On green shield...

+/Sound/Choose a sound (.wav) file (default is alarm.wav)

I have no idea how yours got turned on without you doing it. If you don't want any sound, then untick Enabled
I never use Schedules. I actually dont know what they do.
None of the Schedules were Enabled.
None of them had any assigned sound... the "+" sign to add the sound. I even tried to add "POP" and enable a different sound and still get the siren sound.
The siren sound still remains unless I choose "O" Inactive does the sound disappear.

Attachments

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Another possibility… Check the Status Alerts Action Set.

Click the the ‘Status’ icon (chart).
Select the ‘Log’ tab, then ‘Status alerts …’ (bottom of window)
1665762617643.png

Uncheck Software restarts
Or click the ‘Action set…’ button and disable any Sound actions

1665762652718.jpeg

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Software REstarts wasnt checked.
Under Action Set, it was enbled but no sound was added underneath there

Any other suggestions?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe we should make sure the 'siren' sound you are hearing is actually coming from Blue Iris...

Is the sound one of the *.wav sounds in this folder? ... C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Sounds
Just double-click each file until you find it (or not). (The default is usually 'alarm.wav', so start there.)

1665771529367.png

AN ALTERNATIVE METHOD is to test each Blue Iris sound via the Sound action dialog
Select the file, then click the 'Test' button.

1665771794025.png

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you determine that the sound is indeed coming from Blue Iris, then I would inspect the registry to locate the offending Action or setting...

1. Click the Windows key on the keyboard, type "regedit.exe" to open the Registry Editor.
2. (Optional) Navigate to the Blue Iris section... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris
3. Type Ctrl-F and type in the sound file path ... C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\sounds\alarm.wav ... or just the sound path... C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\sounds
4. Hit key F3 to step through each occurrence.

(Optional Step 2 avoids searching the contents of the registry before the Blue Iris section.)

1665773318690.png

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It was inside BI5 folder. It was called "alarm.wav". I deleted it from the folder. Now no more sound. Guess that's one way to solve this!
But not sure where that setting is inside the program.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Guess that's one way to solve this!
LOL... if had thought of this, I would have suggested renaming the file instead of deleting it.

But not sure where that setting is inside the program
If you do what is suggested in post #7, you may be able to find and fix the issue, as opposed to just breaking whatever is causing it. ;)

... check the messages log & logfle for an error that might provide a clue.

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went thru the registry with no luck. On the error side, I get this in the log:

1665794143713.png

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A heads up….

It’s possible that your new alarm.wave file will be overwritten when you update Blue Iris. So you may need to repeat this procedure on every update.

This is another reason to fix rather than patch the underlying cause. Try repeating post #7 by searching the Blue Iris registry for ‘alarm.wav’... If nothing is revealed by this, suggest emailing support.

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So here are the entries I found:
\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe\PersistedStorageItemTable\ManagedByApp\{E20370E7-F263-4A26-95B2-2B70E3735E85}
\\?\Volume{1D26ADA7-CF1B-499C-B755-3D378A9D4497}\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Sounds\alarm.wav

This is the only place in the registry where alarm.wav is showing up

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, that was unexpected... ZuneMusic !?@#$

If you brave about editing the registry, you can try seeing if this key is the cause...

And if you're not comfortable, don't proceed (you've been warned).

Select the key in the left panel, right-click, select 'Export', and give it a name.
This will save a {yourfilename}.reg file that you can double-click to restore the setting in case something goes wrong.

Then try double-clicking the entry on the right-panel and typing another existing BI5 sound file name over 'alarm' (like 'gesture').