Simple cheap POE switch - PoE Texas-8-24V60W

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Long storey short, my daughter is moving out and she's bought a house not far away. It's my job to set her up with CCTV system, and she likes what I have (BI on dedicated computer, Ubiquity eco-system, Andy's 5442 cameras). It's the Ubiquity stuff that I'm baulking at, as it's not for me and I don't want to unnecessarily make things expensive.

So, I was going through Amazon, and I'll check Ebay later, looking for POE switches, unmanaged. I came across the usual suspects, Netgear & TP Link from about $180+. Then I came across this switch, a PoE Texas POE-8-24V60W for $20. As you can see the price piqued my interest. Would this be suitable to power Dahua/Andy 5442 cameras or is there some limitation that I'm not seeing?

For this build I'm trying to keep the costs down but not at the expense of crap cameras, they will be 5442's.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not a switch. It's a multi-port passive injector.

I've always wondered about the POE Texas stuff. Looks to be pretty good quality at a good price and they make some interesting things. Been tempted to try a few things but ended up going a different way.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Long storey short, my daughter is moving out and she's bought a house not far away. It's my job to set her up with CCTV system, and she likes what I have (BI on dedicated computer, Ubiquity eco-system, Andy's 5442 cameras). It's the Ubiquity stuff that I'm baulking at, as it's not for me and I don't want to unnecessarily make things expensive.

So, I was going through Amazon, and I'll check Ebay later, looking for POE switches, unmanaged. I came across the usual suspects, Netgear & TP Link from about $180+. Then I came across this switch, a PoE Texas POE-8-24V60W for $20. As you can see the price piqued my interest. Would this be suitable to power Dahua/Andy 5442 cameras or is there some limitation that I'm not seeing?

For this build I'm trying to keep the costs down but not at the expense of crap cameras, they will be 5442's.
This will not work for 2 reasons.
1) It is 24v passive poe. Wont work with cams at all. They do make 48v injectors that will work - but again its not a switch. I believe they also sell switches.
2) This is not a switch. Its a poe injector to be used in conjunction with a non poe switch .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.