Sighthound ALPR - Free - Seven Day Retention

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI, the Blue Iris PC had a Windows update late yesterday, and it then rebooted. This morning I noticed that OpenALPR kept buffering, and the FPS, Motion, and Recognized values were jumping up and down (the FPS mostly jumping lower than 15). Looking at the Task Manager, I noticed the 'camServer.exe' periodically spiking the PC. Its properties belonged to SightHound. Apparently I had stopped the service a week or two ago, but after the reboot it started again on its own. After stopping the service then the PC and OpenALPR are working well. I uninstalled SightHound on this PC. If I decide to try it out again then I'll be sure to use another PC, as my rig cannot run both services.

camelian

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the HFW5241E-Z12E to stream to Sighthound. I keep getting "Unable to connect to stream. Check credentials and try again". I've tried the admin credentials and created a secondary user account as well, none of which work. I made sure the RTSP port is forwarded

Here is the syntax I'm using that other people have posted..is this right?
IP/URL: rtsp:/user : pass@ip:port/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Protocol: TCP
Username: user
Password: pass

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the HFW5241E-Z12E to stream to Sighthound. I keep getting "Unable to connect to stream. Check credentials and try again". I've tried the admin credentials and created a secondary user account as well, none of which work. I made sure the RTSP port is forwarded

Here is the syntax I'm using that other people have posted..is this right?
IP/URL: rtsp:/user : pass@ip:port/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Protocol: TCP
Username: user
Password: pass

Remove the port number after the IP and see how that works

eg:

rtsp:/admin:admin@10.7.6.67:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

camelian

n3wb
Reaction score
Nevermind! I missed typed my IP :lmao:

This is amazing!!

Things that work well:
  • Vehicle detection is very accurate
  • Seems to be able to pull plates pretty well most of the time
Things that didn't work as well:
  • Sometimes it pulls the plate when the vehicle is still very far back and sometimes it has a digit or two off. If it had pulled it when the vehicle was closer, it probably could have guessed it correctly
  • Very CPU intensive
  • Some false positives of the tree, or a double take of the car after it passed the pole

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.17.37 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.57.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.17.37 PM copy.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.18.34 PM copy.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.57.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.57.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.18.34 PM copy.png

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some false positives
That was the issue I had, and after something like 1500 false detections overnight it stopped working and never started up again. I ended up uninstalling it and going with open alpr. For five bucks a month it just works.

camelian

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured something out..I had it at 500 shutter speed with minimal false detections at night. i upped it to 1000 shutter speed and got a false detection every 20-30 seconds. Not sure why

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I figured something out..I had it at 500 shutter speed with minimal false detections at night. i upped it to 1000 shutter speed and got a false detection every 20-30 seconds. Not sure why
That's a pretty serious flaw in the software. 1/1000s shutter is about the minimum that I would want to go for clarity of plate image. if you were running the newer 1/1.8" 2mp sensor you would need to run closer to 1/4000, just to ensure it didn't white out.

camelian

n3wb
Reaction score
can you tell me more about the difference between the older and the newer sensor? how do you tell which one you have?

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
How can a smartphone alert be generated without having to pay for a Zapier Webhook?

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If SightHound is pegging your CPU, just try pausing the feed, and use the watched folder instead. I was getting false detections from overview cameras. I setup a LPR directorie, and just feed LPR cameras there. CPU usage is back to normal now.