Shrink-flation: Post your examples

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to the current WH Admin, we're all seeing prices go up and on items that appear outwardly to not have increased much but are, in fact, very deceptive. The manufacturers think we're all idiots (but some of us are) and instead of increasing the price, or in conjunction with it, they just decrease the quantity of product in the package. I heard others call it "shrink-flation" or the like.

I've noticed quite a few in the last year but only lately decided to start taking before and after pictures, thinking it would be interesting, and maybe a little fun, to see what others have noted. Below is an example of dishwasher pods that didn't increase its price much since my last purchase but decreased the quantity from 27 to 21, just enough so maybe I would not notice. They were wrong, it's a 24% decrease in quantity which correlates to the same percentage increase in price.

cascade_shrink.jpg

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This has been a thing for decades, certainly in Australia anyway.

The manufacturers typical claim is that due to increasing costs they could either increase the price of their product or reduce the size of the product.
So they reduce the size and maintain the same price.

And then a short time later they put the price up anyway.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You end up paying more in packaging costs as well, because a larger container holds more volume per surface area than a smaller container. So, more trash, less product.

The other thing I hate captured in the image is idioc claims like "25% more cleaning power!". In small print "compared to products with only 80% of the cleaning power" (do the math, it works out).

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Packaging has everything to do with if a product makes it on the market or if it is a major flop. Never mind how good the product is or isn't, how attractive is all the fluff packaging? Companies are now following Apples product packaging strategy. Very thick cardboard with compartmentalized components inside. They could have the worst product on the market, but if the packaging is pleasing to the eye, people will snap that shit right up.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I chuckle when I see icecream in smaller packages. In the US, during the 70's, going to the metric system was all the rage. If we had shifted over, a half gallon of icecream would have become 2 liters or a slight increase! Now 50 years later with shrinkflation, we would be back down to a half gallon.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought Oxyclean from Sam's Club because it was on sale and because we were getting low. When I put the new box next to the old box there was a clear size difference. You guessed it, shrinkflation. Of course they slap on a NEW CONCENTRATED FORMULA bullshit label on the front. It's the same fucking formula assholes! And of course they aren't going with the LOADS label anymore because it'd be too obvious. Some "sale" huh?

1696609578132.png 1696609687107.png

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought Oxyclean from Sam's Club because it was on sale and because we were getting low. When I put the new box next to the old box there was a clear size difference. You guessed it, shrinkflation. Of course they slap on a NEW CONCENTRATED FORMULA bullshit label on the front. It's the same fucking formula assholes! And of course they aren't going with the LOADS label anymore because it'd be too obvious. Some "sale" huh?

View attachment 174140 View attachment 174142
This is aimed at the young generation, where doing math in your head on the fly is not taught anymore. Yes, most of todays products are a majority of filler and very little active ingredient and mostly inert filler, but that is because the general consumer thinks that doubling the amount called for will fix whatever problem they have. There is a specific reason why what we buy today is the majority inert ingredients. We have dumbed down the new generation so they cant hurt themselves.

Last edited: