Shots Fired

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I am very pissed off right now, more details to come.. thats a culdesac leading to my driveway.. action starts at about 1:30

my theory: first vehicle seen is a resident followed home from a club @ 2:30am, the intersection in front is a dead end and they drove to there house and parked.. the 2nd suspect vehicle followed him home, went down the dead end, turned back then lined up for a shot and pop'd off 2 rounds out of a revolver (no casings found) from the front passenger side up the street.

my alpr camera does not face to the left, so no plates were captured unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimix

n3wb
Reaction score
Wtf? Just outside the fov, proves you can never have enough cam coverage.
Curious to what happened - Hope all of you are OK

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah, that's frickin scary. any idea what they were shooting at?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am fine, i have not found where the bullets landed at this point in time.. but it sure looks like it was in my direction.

the punks came in from a direction and left in the direction that my license plate camera does not capture, I have not found ANY jeeps of this model in any of my license plate history.

The shooters followed a residence home, I found the vehicle they followed and sure enough its the house with a bunch of teenage gang bangers.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
The inset is THE vehicle, you think? so you've got a plate...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no the inset is just a random pic off the internet, my license plate camera has no records of a Jeep matching this description passing it at all this month..

at night its alot harder tho, if this vehicle only came by at night I could have the plates.. but i'd have to do some deep datamining, exclude all the residents and any obvious cars.. then go over every capture and queue up the recordings from other cameras to identify the make and model.. that'll take some massive effort and has little hope of success.

The neighbor across the street was awake, saw it drive away.. confirmed it was either black or very dark colored as he was calling the cops.. they showed up within 5mins but found nothing

no casings in the street either, so either we have some deaf guys shooting from inside a vehicle.. or it was a revolver, a neighbor told me it sounded like a 38.. I my self have a 357 dan wesson, and if I put the snub barrel on it and shoot at night it throws a fire cracker looking muzzle flash quite like this, and I am usually shooting 38 out of it because ammo is expensive.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
unless you can 'enhance' the still ~1:54 as they are driving away (just past your mailbox),
i think we'll soon be hearing about your second LP cam in the other direction... :)

You have filed police report, I imagine...

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bet the police equipment can work with that video and get the plate. Were your sprinklers turned on or were they set off by motion ? if so perhaps there was someone they were shooting at that set off the sprinkler? My guess is shots are on your roof shingles.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I told the computer to enhance, and zoom.. but it refuses to cooperate.. stupid thing.

yeah birdhouse camera looking the other way might have to come next... the angle is much poorer, it will be very harsh intersecting with my other neighbors driveway.

im thinking about another camera up front just watching this intersection, most of the plates I do not get go down this culdesac.. that video was shot with 12mm and its just barely not enough, 25mm would be adaquate I think.

@Jack B Nimble, I bet the police equipment your thinking of only exists in Hollywood fantasy.. it dont work like that in real world, ive ran it through the standard filters.. nothing is there.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like that motion detector light caught thier attention to me. Sorry to see what has happened to you anyway scary shit. Reason I mentioned the cops may have a better way to clear up that video is that what they said to me when I turned one in.

dalepa

Reaction score
dang, shooting at wildlife?

time to get another cam pointing off the right, along with a LPR cam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok so this is what happened, now that I've pieced it together.. instinctively it seemed like I was being shot at.

however, the muzzle flash is going away from me.. out the passenger front window.. I went and stood in the intersection where the that person would have been and it opened up the only clear line of sight straight to the first vehicle parked in its driveway up the street.

The target was the gang banger in the first vehicle, at 2:30 am I have to assume they were followed home from a club.

I did a tax record lookup, found the real owners of the house.. and its the neighbors immediately to the south, they bought the house next to em and are renting it apparently.. and guess what, they are on nextdoor so I messaged them showing them what there renters are attracting to the neighborhood.

Attachments

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you're OK Nayr. Man that blows. I hope you have notified the police. They should know, even if they can't do anything presently.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I spent a good portion of my morning walking the neighborhood with an officer and talking to neighbors..

this morning I woke up and going through emails found one from a neighbor asking if my mic's picked up gunfire lastnight at exactly 2:30am, so I read a few more emails and then opened up the NVR and clicked right to 2:29am and waited.. about 2mins later I lost my shit.

was expecting to hear gunfire, no problem.. was not expecting to see muzzle blast at the end of my driveway.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be the guy from AMP security that got fired :) Just kidding..Glad nobody got hurt, anyway I looked at the still you posted, looks like it might have a trailer receiver in the rear. Might be stock for that jeep. I had the siding shot through on my house about 20 years ago from a stray 30/30 or as best as the cops could figure. it was hunting season but still made me unsettled. Its getting almost hard to avoid this crap even in rural areas like I live in. We had drive by pellet gun shooter taking out front windows last year on my street. Sounds like its time for more cameras at your place, I know I will be upgrading mine this summer for sure. Thanks for sharing.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i already added cameras in prep for the summer, the new frontdoor camera that caught this was just put in as an upgrade.. then my plate camera and my trailer camera.. so big upgrades already been done to get what I got. so far I am very pleased with my results, quite effective they have been.

funny thing is in the day time this camera has a wider view and woulda got the shots, I got all clever and had it change idle presets after dark to max zoom to get the most pixels of ppl fucking with my cars.. didnt have this scenario in mind.. nothing much interesting to watch where he had shot, typically.

but on the other hand, my westerly PTZ knew that my car was not parked in its normal spot and did not change its idle preset at night to its tight shot on my doors.. it knows better to zoom in on an empty slab of asphault so it had backed out its FOV to daytime idle so it could be usefull.. win some and loose some.

in this case the only further video evidence that would have helped was an actual plate capture.. I dont have much of an angle going the other direction sadly, its more difficult than my existing plate camera and that took alot of work to pull off well @ 180ft... need to get a neighbor across the street to let me install a birdhouse camera on there property, or get permission to mount one to my light pole out front.. both dont seem very likely.. i dont like the idea of dedicating so much resources to watch a dead end street, id rather get the through traffic on the other side of the intersection.. if I am adding another plate camera I will demand 99.999% reading of every car that passes by.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
or get permission to mount one to my light pole out front..<-----------------------------

I have seen a nature cam strapped to a power pole for about a year..I thought it was the homeowner but now that I think about it might have been law enforcement or the power company did not care or notice that it was there..who knows..what the heck put one up there and play dummie when they knock on your door :0

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could stick a dashcam on the front or rear glass of one of your cars parked on street might be a more practical way to deal with angle issues.

Certified mail to the owner of a bad rental may work better than nextdoor.

Too bad your area wasn't part of DPD's recent shot spotter deployments... at least you don't live in englehood or lakewood.