SHORT focal range camera?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
a friend has an application for a camera that can take extreme closeups, like 6 inches to 2 feet, with a wide angle lens, and good night vision with minimal IR. I thought a IPC-T5442T-AS 2.8 would work, but they say minimum focus is 4.3 feet, which is just too far, and I suspect the 1-2 foot stuff will be way fuzzy.

so... anyone know of any such cameras ? I realize this isn't a normal security camera, in fact, its a camera to go inside an owl nesting box. he has some funky analog 480i camera now, but would like to upgrade to 1080p or better, my thought was a micro PC connected to the spare HDMI port on his main TV set being fed from whatever camera. He's totally up fro having several cameras, only one would be super short like this, the others would be longer range outside cameras and likes the idea of PoE and BlueIris on a mini PC feeding said HDMI port.

p.s. I'm leaving for a week long road trip tomorrow morning, so I probably wont be in a place to follow up until I return on July 3rd or 4th. He's in no hurry, so its all good.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think my friend is going to give this one a try.

While the owl box is on a little used workshop a few 100 feet from his house, its right next to a source of 120V power, so running the cam+transmitter on 12V is as simple as a 12V wallplug charger and a small SLA. His home internet router is right near a window that overlooks that workshop, so the point to point radio should work great. I suggested adding a 'chromecast' to his TV so he can use his phone to throw the live video up on the big screen.

Reaction score
I had the same thought process. Many 3D printer people looking for a camera need focal from 6"-2feet distant. Other than something really spendy, I went with a simple Raspberry Arduino Camera. Though does not have any fancy AI or bells & whistles, it's just a camera. It works for 3D printing purposes :) Can even swap lens out to different focal lengths.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a small POE 4MP camera from AliExpress to use in a birdhouse.

I bought it from 'topsee miniature camera Store' on AliExpress.

It's not too bad for a cheap camera.
Certainly can do better quality.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.