Setting up IVS for very large area at long distances, tripwire + intrusion + shutter speed changes etc - some issues, photos included.

fpastrader

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a 4MP PTZ covering a very large area, the photo is zoomed in quite a lot. I've had to do this because the sensitivity of the IVS just doesn't detect anything until it's much closer.

I've got the bitrate on the highest settings, shutter speed at 1/350 to catch movement best, increased saturation and contrast, done a Region of Interest across the full screen to increase detail - all in order for the IVS rule to work as best as possible at long distance.

The intrusion setting seemed to have a large delay (not crossing a border, appearing) it could detect someone and not trigger anything for 10s as they walked along. What I've done is added constant tripwires in all the areas someone can walk through which has improved the response, as soon as a person is detected and crosses one of the lines the reaction is immediate. The issue is now the detection of the person, you can clearly see someone but the camera doesn't give them a detection box at longer distances (min. tracking size set to well beyond the size of a person at 20x20 and also at 0 currently).

Interestingly, on the mainstream these lines do not show but on the substream they do show. There is a huge delay on the mainstream, we can see maybe 1 second of movement every 5 seconds since I think the on site internet can't sustain such massive uploads (I'm not at location). Will this have any impact on the IVS tripwire/intrusion?

Also, any comments on the image quality, shutter, additional settings/advice on how to identify a person at a much longer distance would be greatly received.

(Both images are the substream)

Edit: The camera has a 32x zoom, the idea is if someone is detected in one of 3 presets the camera can zoom right into them. But each preset is so large the camera is not detecting anyone - but If I zoom in the fore-area is then excluded. If we do multiple zoomed in presets the chance of missing someone increases.

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you calibrated IVS in the camera? Located, usually, in IVS > Global Settings. With a trip wire grid like that, very dense, the camera may not be able to "see" smaller objects when zoomed out well enough to make any detection. Start with either a basic trip wire or use an intrusion box.

fpastrader

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Sebastion.

The situation above is significantly improved when compared to just a single intrusion box at long distances.

I had a look for the setting and found something that may or may not be what you're referring to - however there is a sensitivity setting but it appears to be specific to what ever this particular feature entails:

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have a PTZ but setup means that you place three, one meter, objects/sticks, in the view of the camera at close, medium and long distances. Then calibrate the camera to them using that exact page. Note the "Add Calibration" button. I have good results with IVS/Intrusion boxes but am working with fixed lens cameras at much shorter distances. Getting IVS tuned to work at the distances you are attempting is going to be a long process I suspect.